Christmas Gift for our son - LG V10

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by scjjtt, Dec 24, 2015.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Scott, any news? Is the mystery package delivered already?

I did finally send my V10 to the local LG repair center. I used the front from the 2nd V10 I purchased, since it's not been modified (still has the original heatpad), but installed my mainboard so the IMEI is preserved. I explained the failure, the guy saw the purchase date, noted it was no longer covered by warranty, but I told him to check it anyway. Down here warranty claims are a nightmare (not only on phones, but on nearly everything else), so I have little hope of hearing any good news. I did get a chance to play with a G6 that was on display. It's a very beautiful device, and the camera seems to be at least as good as the one on the V10. It's physically smaller and lighter than the V10, and easier to use one-handed. Hmmm... perhaps deserves more than just a "meh"... :D :D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy - FedEx is now saying it is a Wednesday delivery since it is coming out of & through Texas.

I'll keep everyone informed.

I see LG abandoned the removable battery on the G6. Too bad. My G4 is still working great. I like the smaller size phone over the v10.

Keep us posted on what's going on in your phone search in your neck of the woods!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

3. scjjtt

My replacement v10 was just delivered. It is a nice phone & I'm tempted to use it. I just turned it on & set my account up on it over WiFi without a sim card. Android 7.0 is installed on it. There is a part of me that says - use it - you have until November on the warranty - but most likely I'll just keep using the G4. We'll see!

4. raspabalsa

What good is a nice device if no one uses it? A phone wants to be used, not kept in storage. ;)

Seriously now, can you see if it's the same V10 or another unit you received?

5. scjjtt

Raspy, it appears to be the same phone - it has the same S/N and IMEI number. It looks like the same label. I don't think it is a new label, I took a pic of it before I sent it and compared it with a pic now. It looks the same. I wish I would have put some type of identification mark on it just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it is the same phone.

So, I wonder if they really fixed what causes it to overheat and bootloop?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Only one way to find out... :vbwink: :vbrolleyes:

7. raspabalsa

That's what I'm wondering too. I thought you were going to receive either a full phone replacement or at least a replacement mainboard. But if you received the same phone then that would mean they're actually fixing your own mainboard, which is not the usual way manufacturers solve warranty claims. Usually they send a different refurbished device. I hope they did fix it this time.

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. scjjtt

I did it - I'm back on the v10 & it does feel nice to have it back in my hands.

I went about reinstalling my apps a couple of ways. Usually I like a fresh & clean install of everything. But I just did that when I took over Mrs scjjtt's old S4 & then again with my LG G4 which I bought as a backup while waiting to contact LG & for them to handle my v10's warranty - which they did.

Having just individually reinstall the apps on 2 different devices - I wasn't excited about doing it again. I tried Google's backup, which is available at the beginning screens of setting up a new device. It works, for the most part, but not everything is install & data is missing on the apps.

So tonight I gave LG's method a try. It was easy & everything transferred - even my LG G4 signature for B.H. which I changed. All my previous text's transfered too.

Graffiti Pro's app transferred, but I had to activate it. I had to pair my Pebble watch & I assume I'll have to do the same with my other BT devices.

Below are screenshots of LG's Backup & Restore method.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

9. scjjtt

Well - I went back to the G4. Mrs scjjtt & I have always had the same phones - which makes it nice when traveling or out that we use the same batteries.

I also like the feel of the G4. It does everything I need to do, and it seems to me the G4 does it as fast as the v10. It takes great pics - it just doesn't have the manual option in video recording that the v10 has which I never used or understood.

Now my v10 is loaded & ready to be used if something happens to my G4 or it can be factory reset & used if something happens to my son's or DIL or SIL's v10's. If those scenarios never happen then I have a little bit more powerful phone waiting for me if I need it.