Cheap Android tablets

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by EdmundDantes, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Adama, I'll take a look at that review. I held off, because I'm not sure the main use for it I'd have would really work.

3. EdmundDantes

I don't know if I should start a new thread or not; but someone can move this if appropriate.

I went ahead and bought the EGQ-780. I'm remarkably impressed with it and not just for the low price ($80). It's remarkably well made, with a heavy metal back like an iPad Mini and not just think aluminum shell or aluminized plastic as I expected. The only real letdown and I'm not even going to use it for that, are the cameras, which are mediocre at best.

I had some questions about rooting, which I've never done. I want to root this one because I need to access the SD card, and Kit Kat prevents that.

I found this:

https://www.oneclickroot.com/device/ematic-egq780/

Which seems the right place, but under "Model" below the photo of the device, there's something about a bad string error. So I'm not sure if this site is safe or not. Does anyone have experience with it? Otherwise, it seems straightforward.

I found another site:

http://trendblog.net/fix-kitkat-sd-card-write-restriction/

That shows me how to fix Kit Kat so I can access the memory card. This too looks pretty simple.

Any advice?

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I don't know that root app and don't find any reviews, so no recommendations there. It's probably fine, but I would probably see if I could find any mentions of it on Android Forums or XDA. You'll want one of the free apps that can confirm you have root when it's done, such as this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck

For the SD Card fix, I think you'll find this free app easier:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix&hl=en

Worked for me anyway.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Congratulations on the new tablet! I hope it meets your needs. Keep us posted - write a review when you can.

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

scjjtt likes this.
  7. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

*drool*
    *wipe the drool*

scjjtt likes this.
  8. EdmundDantes

Jig, I think my cheap tablet is better for my uses, although the ability to use larger cards (up to 128 GB) is nice. I like the larger screen, better (marginally) cameras, HDMI port, etc. For $30 more it's worth it I think.

Thanks for the link to the SD Card app. That looks like a nice, clean automatic way to edit that setting rather than manually doing it.

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Don't take it at face value that that model can't use cards larger than 32 GB. MicroSD cards should be pretty universal, but many manufacturers will only guarantee cards up to the size they've been able to extensively test. So a device might say "32 GB" or "64 GB," but that doesn't necessarily mean that a larger card won't function. You might try borrowing a 64 GB card to test it out.

EdmundDantes, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

Adama, you're right. I figure there's an even shot bigger cards will work. I was just trying to pick out a better feature on the Fire.

RickAgresta likes this.