charger/cradle/diagram for Zodiac2 Tapwave?

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by rebeltaz, Oct 1, 2015.

1. rebeltaz

rebeltaz Mobile Enthusiast

I just found a Tapwave Zodiac 2 at a yard sale today for $0.25, but they didn't have a charger. As a collector (see the link in my signature) I couldn't pass it up. I don't suppose anyone has a charger or cradle that they would like to sell cheap? I don't even know if this works, so I don't want to spend too much.

Or if not the actual hardware, I could do with a schematic or wiring diagram for the connector and build my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

scjjtt likes this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

rebeltaz - Welcome to Brighthand.

I had never heard of these until today & looked it up. It looks like a great find! I assume it uses the charging chords of the original palms? Let us know - I should have one around somewhere (I might have even thrown one away yesterday - but it would still be in a box that hasn't gone to the dumpster yet).

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

3. rebeltaz

lol... I had never heard of this one either, but I never pass up a cool looking electronic device for a quarter!

After some researching last night, I was able to find this pinout - http://theopoon.rinnovative.com/2006/04/08/zodiac-connector-pinouts/ - so I think I might can rig something up to at least get it powered up, but I would still like to find a proper connector for it.

I looked up a Palm Pilot cradle pinout and they seem to be different, so I don't know how standard this one is. My luck it's proprietary just so they can (or rather could) sell more accessories. Wouldn't want people using one cable to charge all of their devices - that would just be madness! :)

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

There is a member here who used Tapwave extensively. Hopefully he'll pop up before too long.

If the battery is removable (I don't know if it is) you might want to try a universal battery charger. Here is a Youtube Video showing the Anker one, which unfortunately isn't made anymore, but they all seem to work on the same principles, combining a resizing case with movable contacts:

Here's a really cheap one at Amazon if you want to try it out without risking a lot of money:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Charg...xxnrHyL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Here is a European online shop making the same suggestion.

http://www.batteryupgrade.com/shopB...rtmentProductId/83940620/shopGroupId/69925897

Just an idea. No idea how good it is. :vbwink:

z22 2006 User, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. rebeltaz

It's an internal battery. I'm sure I could pull it if I need to, but I hacked together a makeshift connector using a popsicle stick, two straight pins and a runner band connected to a B&K variable power supply. I was pleasantly surprised when the Zodiac powered on! :) Now to see if it takes a charge.

Still looking for a legitimate connector though... but I appreciate the responses.

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand

just thought of another possiblity -- Chris Short, at http://www.palmdr.com/cart/ He might have exactly what you need, or be able to suggest how to get it.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  7. rebeltaz

Wow... he does have quite the selection, doesn't he? I didn't see what I'm looking for there, but I did shoot him a quick email. Thanks!

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  8. rebeltaz

OK... let me ask this. Since I can (makeshift) charge the device (and it has a great battery apparently!) but I cannot find a cable/cradle for this, I cannot "hotsync" programs to it. Is there any way to install programs to an SD card without hotsync? I have managed to get a few freeware programs running, so I am happy with this so far! Thanks for all the help and replies guys.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

scjjtt likes this.
  10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Assuming the Tapwave was like any other Palm, any program you place in the launcher folder on the SD card should appear on the device in whatever launcher category represents the card, or in the "ALL" Category.

For programs that need to be installed (because they can't run from th card or have to be installed to main memory first), there is a program called MyInstall, available on my TX help site. Read the readme that comes with it. You put the prc file in the launcher folder and then create a MyInstall folder in the root of the SD card. AFter that, place any file you want to install in that MyInstall folder and run the MyInstall program in Launcher. It will install whatever files it finds in that folder.

scjjtt likes this.