Changes at the scjjtt household

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scjjtt, Aug 17, 2016.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

We thought we were going to have an empty nest but...

On Tuesday I'll be traveling with my son from AZ to IL. He & his girl friend are transferring to Olivet Nazarene University as juniors (they both had a full scholarship at Mesa Community College). He'll be pursuing Pastoral Ministries (has about a full 66% scholarship for room & board & already has the $15,000 saved up for his junior year & is now saving up for his senior year) & she is in the Pre-Med program & on the cheer team for ONU.

She just got back from a month of ROTC training in KY. The Army will be paying for her tuition along with $450 monthly stipend. ONU will pay for room & board. ONU has the largest ROTC program for the Army in Illinois with 70 acres across from the campus for the ROTC program. After college the Army will pay for her Med School along with a $2,000 monthly stipend & then she has a choice to do her internship as a civilian or as an officer. If she goes active in the Army she'll owe them 8 years. She is considering going reserve so they can live where they want & he can pastor wherever God leads them & she can make civilian pay as a doctor.

[​IMG]

With daughters at age of 35 & 32 & a son at 20, we thought that finally we were going to have an empty nest until...

Our Spanish pastor & wife's 26 year old son committed suicide in their home 2 weeks ago. As tragic as that is, their 18 year old son was killed in a auto accident 5 years ago.

The evening after the burial last week, the mother of our Spanish pastor's wife died in their home of a heart attack. The family was going to send their only living child, their 15 year old daughter to Texas for 6 months or longer until they decide what to do with the house. The parents didn't want their 15 year old daughter coming home alone after school to a house with such memories.

Even before the death of the grandmother, Mrs scjjtt & I decided to offer the parents the option of their daughter to move in with us - I mean we have 4 bedrooms & 3 baths in a 3,100 sq foot home - we have plenty of room & we can get her to school & she doesn't have to be away from her parents. We just felt that after all of this tragedy she needed her parents & they needed her rather than be separated by several states.

So, she has moved in, along with her 4 month poodle. With our 2 golden retrievers we now have 3 dogs (fortunately the downstairs is all tiled). We thought, yeah we can handle this, no problem until...

The day after we offer our home for a 15 year old, our daughter from San Diego called. They were about to close on a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1,500 square foot short sell home in La Mesa for $375,000. The home was really too small for all 7 of them (this is the daughter & son-in-law who adopted 4 kids, all from the same mom but different dads & had one of their own before the youngest adopted child was born) plus both bathrooms needed to be gutted & renovated.

As I said, the day after we offer our home to a 15 year old, our daughter called & said they didn't want to invest so much money & time into a house but into their kids so (to make this long story a little shorter) they are relocating to AZ & asked to move in with us until he gets another job & they buy a home here.

Now we did tell our daughter that the 15 year old was promised a room & will have a room for herself - so, we'll convert the Dining Room/Living Room as a master bedroom for our daughter & SIL. We still have an open kitchen & family room plus a 400 sq ft plus game room up stairs.

Fortunately for the Mrs & I we have a huge Master Bedroom (about 700 sq ft for the room, bath & closet) that has 2 desks, refrigerator, microwave & now our couch & coffee table from the living room, that we can escape to & hide if necessary.

No empty nest for us any time soon!

[​IMG]

(Mrs scjjtt & myself with the grandkids in May)

Oh, I forgot to mention - our daughter also has a 70 pound multi mixed dog. He'll fit right in...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

r0k, namerif, Mi An and 5 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That's a very beautiful family Scott! Congratulations! You're very lucky in having a stronghold to escape the noise. I can only imagine the racket caused by all the kids and pets. Have you considered installing noise insulation in the master bedroom's walls? :D

lelisa13p, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

What a great and open heart you have, sir. I love all the wonderful smiling faces in the pictures. Wonderful people, touched by such grace. Thanks for sharing. :vbsmile: :newpalm:

However, you forgot to tell us about their electronics.... :vbrolleyes:

BAB2000, namerif, Mi An and 5 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

plus-elebenty-bigger.png

jigwashere, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  5. scjjtt

Well this is the daughter who ''tossed'' her S5 into Nissan NV 3500 windshield, from the front seat, & not only shattered her S5 screen but cracked the van's windshield. So, being the loving & understanding husband that our SIL is, he got he a new S7.

His S5 was beginning to act up when we were there over the 7/4 weekend, so after seeing my son's LG v10, he purchased one off of Ebay for $275.

Our SIL has been auctioneer at Saint Vincent de Paul in San Diego. He also has done a weekly auction for years. He comes across hundreds of electronics that he buys for a penny on the dollar that he then fixes up & resales on Ebay.

Here is a pic of his work bench in their garage that is full of stuff...

[​IMG]

...need anything?

r0k, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  6. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

Looks like my stuff in general really. :p

I've also been going to MCC Red mountain, start back on the 22nd.

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Oh... my... :)

jigwashere, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  8. scjjtt

That's the campus that my son & GF went to.

z22 2006 User and lelisa13p like this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Thanks for sharing, scjjtt! Who needs electronics when you have the 5 handhelds in that awesome photo? :newpalm:

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

jig, I'm assuming that you are referring to The Adorable Littles? :vbsmile:

Rev, you are my hero. :newpalm:

r0k, namerif, scjjtt and 2 others like this.