CES or IFA: Which Giant Consumer Electronics Tradeshow is Better? Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Dragan Petric, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Dragan Petric

Dragan Petric Brighthand Contributor

Each year, there are two massive electronics shows: CES in Las Vegas and IFA in Berlin. This raises the question, which of these two is better? Brighthand's European coorespondent compares them head-to-head.

Read the full content of this Article: CES or IFA: Which Giant Consumer Electronics Tradeshow is Better?

Related Articles:

What's Wrong with CES? Plenty

Big Wins and Epic Fails in the 2011 Smartphone Market

Shenzhen, the Chinese Silicon Valley, Home to Brilliant Smartphone Designs and Cheap Knock-offs

We Shouldn't Ban Cell Phones in Cars, We Should Ban Drivers

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

There's one area where CES has a distinct advantage: logo. The IFA one looks like it was drawn by a moderately talented 6 year old:

[​IMG]

OK, that's a bit unfair. It looks like it was drawn by an unusually talented 6 year old.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Maybe because our correspondent is a European and Vegas is a novelty; but I don't have such a sanguine view of Vegas. I'll take Berlin any time.

4. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Does anyone really care which is better?......couldn't think of anything worse than going to either tbh, unless it was my job to report such things, squashing inside buildings with legions of panting electronic nerds while being overloaded with visual stimuli and noise isn't my idea of fun these days.....plus, the internet has made these shows pretty redundant imo as there will be very little shown that isn't already known about through web blogs and tech sites.
    Vegas holds no interest for me as a place at all, there are many other places in the US that hold a more realistic interest for me personally, likewise, if I were in Germany, the historical value [particularly the earlier part of last century in the whole region] captivates my interest more than any electronic thingy show, sorry to sound such a party pooper given the nature of this website, but what a total waste of valuable time during a visit to either country :D

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

A lot of what you say is true. And I speak for someone who's actually been there. Jamming a hundred and fifty thousand people into Vegas for a show, combined with the demos and the glitz can be kind of like jamming your head into the middle of a kaleidescope, then riding the Tilt-a-Whirl.

Despite that, I loved it and wish I had the opportunity to go again. Why? Simply put, it's not just about the actual news that comes out of the trade show, although that's always interesting. For one thing, it's the opportunity to see and interact with a lot of tech you wouldn't otherwise have the chance to. I write mostly about smartphones, so my chances to play with tablets are almost non-existant, even though I wish they weren't. Or getting to see what's being done with more experimental stuff, like e-ink or fluid lenses.

Yes, CES is too damn big for it's own good, when you're trying to shoehorn in TVs, smartphones, car electronics, home automation, security, microcomponents, etcetera into the same show, which raises the noise level so high it's hard to process. Heck, the year I went one of the major exhibits was a remotely-controlled "smart oven," and another was a Hummer with a Windows-based car PC. (Insert your own "car crash" joke here.) But there's also a certain amount of value in those kind of cross-disciplinary exhibits, since you might learn things that you might not otherwise.

There's also the gestalt of the show: sometimes it's not so much a single, specific technology or new product, but an area that everyone is buzzing about. Maybe one year it's mobile TV. The next year it could be integration, merging your smartphone, home entertainment system, and other personal electronics into a single coherent system. It gives a sense of where the industry sees itself going. It's no guarantee of course that it'll actually go that way, but it provides an insight into the psychology of the decision-makers for the coming year.