Centro on Verizon?

Discussion in 'Palm Centro' started by o3v3tz, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0k

r0k Dazed

Oops. I just noticed your post. Yes, I got a deal on the 755p. So far, I'm liking the 755p but there are 2 issues I mentioned in another thread that gave me a moment of serious doubt. I'm sure they would have been the same if I had a Centro.

First of all, the built in sound recorder uses a proprietary file format. This was a giant step backwards. On the 650, I could bring over a legacy voice pad app and it would work. Because this useless voicepad is in the 755p rom, I cannot bring over the older voicepad without having a soft reset.

Second of all, the behavior of the phone is every bit as crude as the 650 when I'm in a bad signal area. This is something I would expect Blackberry, Windows Mobile, iPhone, or Nokia could do better. A multi tasking OS would still allow me to use the pda features to get things done regardless of whether the phone software had lost its mind looking for a signal.

There is a third issue I'm mentioning here for the first time. Battery life is extremely poor compared to my 650. Just walking around with my 755p in my pocket all day can lead to a 50 percent state of charge. I could walk around for a week with my 650 and it wouldn't make it down to 50 percent. In fact, my 650 has been sitting in a drawer since I got my 755p and it is still above 70 percent state of charge. I am hearing that the Centro has a longer battery life than the 755p. That would be a tiebreaker for me knowing what I know now. Now that I'm typing, there's a 4th issue. 755p takes mini sdhc. Nobody sells that. Centro takes microsdhc. Everybody sells that.

I'm still in my "worry free" period and if the Centro came out on Verizon today, I'd have to at least think about a swap. So far, I have mixed feelings about my 755p but in the current state of the Palmos world, I think I'd have mixed feelings about a Centro as well.

hope this helps...

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I would find that hard to believe, since the Centro battery is only 1150 mAh in capacity, compared to 1600 mAh on the 755p and 1800 mAh on the 650. Are you sure that your phone isn't doing something extra that might eat battery power?

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

rOK
    Thanks for the info. I am sure either phone would be a shock after using a Tx for 2 1/2 years, but I am thinking that I would like to try having one device most of the time. I would still keep my Tx to use primarily for music and video when practical.

What kind of a deal did you get?

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I kept my TX and it's basically a paperweight now. I really must sell it along with my old 650. I got a sweet deal but I'd rather not talk about specific details as it is not something available to the public at large.

5. dwb1

dwb1 Mobile Consultant

I was in a Verizon store Saturday (5/31) upgrading my sons phone and looking at the Touch and there was a dummy version of the Centro on the counter. I was told they should have it in the store soon (1-2 wks). They said it was unusual to have the dummy and not have it in the system. It looks really nice, dark blue case. They guessed the price point to be a little lower than the Touch, maybe $100 after NE2.

6. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Finally!!!!!

7. o3v3tz

o3v3tz Mobile Evangelist

Looking today at the Palm site, it shows a blue Centro for Verizon. I did not find the Centro on the verizonwireless site yet.

Unfortunately it looks like an ugly blue color on my laptop screen, but I will look to see an actual phone before really making any judgment on the color.

Barb

After posting my comment, I noticed this thread with details on that announcement of the centro on verizon

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=258842

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

Thanks for the heads up, Barb. It looks like VZW finally pulled the trigger. They make turtles look fast. I picked up a 755p almost 2 months ago and the VZW Centro rumors were swirling even then. I'm so glad I jumped when I did. Walking around another 2 long months with a much older device like the 650 would not have been worth it as Centro and 755p are very similar in capabilities.

9. dhyamato

dhyamato Centro Newbie...

Got my Centro from Verizon yesterday and all is happy in my world. Works like a charm and is perfect for my needs!

10. Adam Helberg

Adam Helberg Mobile Deity

The Verizon Centro is out now.

Adam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.