Centro Contacts and Calendar no longer syncing to desktop

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I just discovered today that neither my calendar nor my contacts are syncing to my computer desktop. It has apparently been going on for a few weeks. My sync logs go back to 10/20 and it was already happening then. I know that it was working about 3 weeks ago because those appointments are in Palm Desktop. It really would not make much of a difference to me except I have to pint my weekly calendar for my boss and I just noticed that it was not accurate. Also, I just hate it when things do not work properly. Everything else (Splash Money, Splash ID, FileMaker Mobile, docstogo, etc.) is syncing fine. I removed the software that I installed in the last 3 weeks and did a soft reset and nothing changed. The hotsync message says that calendar (and contacts) cannot find the database on the handheld so open up both apps and try again. I did that a bunch and nothing has changed. Any thoughts about this? Now I have to write out my weekly calendar. How archaic!

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

It's possible that the DBs in the handheld have some data corrupted. A DB overwrite may be due to solve the problem. The catch here is that such overwrite can be ordered establishing priority either for the desktop or for the handheld. One will overwrite the other, and necessarily the most recent information will be lost in the device that is overwritten. I believe you have more info in the desktop, so I suggest you order "Desktop overwrites handheld" for Calendar and Contacts from the HotSync Manager. This will refill all the data of such apps in the handheld. If the problem persists, a hard reset may be needed.

3. hal

For a better diagnose, maybe you can post the HotSync report:
    HotSync Manager icon in the taskbar: menu opens: See register (or something, I got it in Spanish): menu opens: your HotSync ID: enter

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Are you syncing over the air to an Exchange Server? If yes, the desktop Calendar and Contact sync is turned off. There is a menu needing a couple of items modified, as I don't Centro, I don't know which they are, but a search should get you the answer.

5. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Here is what the log says:
    - The Contacts conduit could not find a Contacts database file on the handheld, Please launch the Contacts application on the handheld, then perform another HotSync operation.
    Contacts did nothing
    - The Calendar conduit could not find a Calendar database file on the handheld. Please launch the Calendar application on the handheld, then perform another HotSync operation.
    Calendar did nothing

I am syncing directly from Centro via cable to USB port.

I tried handheld overwrite desktop but that obviously did not work. Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable with desktop over handheld as I will lose 3 weeks worth of appointments which would be a tragedy. I could go through my calendar and actually put all of the appointments on my desktop and then try overwriting handheld, but what a time consumer.

6. hal

See this page, maybe the issue is similar to yours, even though the stated device there is the Treo 650

7. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I have never used Wireless Sync but I followed the directions and the appropriate box was already checked so that is not the problem.

8. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I synced contacts with Desktop overwrites handheld as an experiment and that did not work and the message was the same:

- The Contacts conduit could not find a Contacts database file on the handheld, Please launch the Contacts application on the handheld, then perform another HotSync operation.
    Contacts did nothing.

I really do not want to do a hard reset and start over as that will take countless hours to complete. If I hard reset and restore, I feel sure that I will just restore the corrupt databases.

9. awerner68

awerner68 Mobile Enthusiast

I had a similar problem with my Palm Centro. What I ended up having to do was a hard reset (clear out the Palm) and then perform a Hotsync.

What I did then, is use a tool called NVBackup and backup my Palm periodically. When I notice that the contacts weren't hotsync'ing I would restore my Palm.

The cause of my problem was switching back and forth between different types of sync'ing. I would use USB at work and then sync to my home computer at home using Bluetooth. I have since stopped syncing this way and my problem has stopped.

Where you sync'ing to two different computers or using two different connections?

10. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Well problem solved! I did a hard reset, installed the new Verizon ROM update, and hotsynced to my computer. Unfortunately hotsyncing does not restore a great deal of preferences, passwords, and even apps like NVBackup does. Now I have an additional 5 to 10 hours over the next few days to return it to its prior state. But in the end it will be worth it: a ROM update and Calendar and Contacts syncing properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.