Cellular Service

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by prowler1, Nov 30, 2011.

1. prowler1

prowler1 Newbie

Hi everybody - I'm a true newbie posting for the first time ... and curious about cellular innovations and Smartphone options.

Due to the fact that I live in a non-cellular-receptive spot I have never thought it prudent to spend money on a device which would only work only while I am away from my home. Recently, though, I began paying more attention to Smartphones and the multitude of options. I try to understand some Smartphone lingo and I try to understand the pros and cons of different hardware. Gotta say, thought, it's easy to get lost without any actual hardware in my hands. This forum may be one of the best kept secrets going what with the comprehensive body of information here along with the knowledgeable and courteous replies to questions. Maybe here I can find the best phone and best service for my needs.

The main reason for my renewed interest in this technology is that my previous employer announced in March that they were going to unveil new technology to replace cell towers with a small and more powerful alternative. If this comes around, maybe no more need to rely on intrusive towers subject to County and City zoning issues. Maybe this new technology will allow folks like me who live in the boondocks to now be a part of the cellular party.

Thanks to everybody here for the way this forum is managed.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, prowler1. :)

If you want any direction or advice, you'll have to offer some specifics about what features you're looking for in a phone and which carriers are in your area.

3. prowler1

prowler1 Newbie

Thank you for for your reply. As I tried to indicate in my post, I have no carriers available to me at present.

My post was probably premature. Not sure why I posted all that info. I had best sit back and be a 'lurker' until things change at my end and service becomes available.

Thanks again.

4. lelisa13p

The welcome still stands. :)

5. Radon222

Radon222 Mobile Deity

Keep in mind that smartphones don't absolutely need Cellular data for service, you can use wifi for a data connection.

Even though I live within 5 miles of the city limits of a major metropolitan area, I get crappy cell coverage at my house. When I'm home, I have my calls automatically forwarded to my land line, and use Wifi pretty much exclusively for all data services.

There are also options like the Ipod or Samsung Galaxy player which give you all the capabilites of IOS or Android respectively via wifi, but without phone service or any need for a carrier contract.

Welcome to Brighthand!

6. prowler1

prowler1 Newbie

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your input.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Maybe it's the cynic in me; but the original post seems like a 'feeler' for putting out info about this new technology. Otherwise, the post does seem awfully premature.

If I'm wrong, I'd also say that BH has ample information on using devices like the iPod Touch and Galaxy Player (or several tablet/pad options) with a WiFi network, something that's found in many places, even the boondocks.

Furthermore, the gov't has launched an even more aggressive effort to get broadband out to previously unserved areas.

8. lelisa13p

Alert to the same intentions, Varjak, and will remain vigilant & act promptly should that situation arise. :)