Cell Phone Radiation Fears Escalate Despite a Lack of Evidence Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Judy Jefferson, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy Jefferson

Judy Jefferson Brighthand Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I don't need specific scientific evidence to know that placing more radiation next to my head is worse for me than placing less radiation next to my head. And the actual weight of scientific evidence regarding the extent of cell phone caused radiation damage is inconclusive (contrary to the weaselly nonstatement the USDA has been quoted on elsewhere) -- which is what you'd expect in relation to a phenomenon that could take many decades for the effect to become noticeable with a technology that's fairly recent amidst a whole lot of other radiation producing technologies that are also fairly recent.

That doesn't sound right (though a link to your source would be helpful).

I might return to post about this article's handling of bees later.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

What makes people nervous is the term "radiation". But this isn't the kind of radiation you associated with nuclear power plants. This radiation in the sense that it radiates something. If you use this definition, you could also say that a light bulb puts out radiation.

I've read articles that used "emanations" instead.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

5. wshwe

wshwe Mobile Deity

To be on the safe side you could live in the middle of nowhere. Hysteria overtakes real evidence.

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

True enough; but with cellphones it IS 'microwave' radiation, not 'radiation' from the visible light spectrum. I think Mi An said it best: less is better. I doubt that it's a MAJOR problem; but the fact remains that as with most cancers and such, you probably need both a genetic susceptibility AND an aggravating factor (carcinogens, radiation of various types, and behaviors that can alter body chemistry).

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Indeed. Some people can smoke a pack a day, live to be 90 and die of natural causes. Some people can't. This is probably more akin to studies on second hand smoking. Harder to nail down the risk because of the more limited exposure. That doesn't mean there's no risk, just that it's harder to evaluate.

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Rather than copying it, I'm linking to the graphic in RA's helpful post in the other thread.

http://forum.brighthand.com/1810180-post2.html

You might be able to cook your face, I suppose (Heat is the major byproduct of intense concentrations of electromagnetic energy at the wavelengths we are talking here-- think sunlight and magnifying glass). But I would return it to the manufactuer if that happened-- it's defective. :rolleyes:

9. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

And yet the general consensus among people who don't mistake microwave radiation for gamma rays is that the situation is still hardly that simple.

Microwaves are capable of affecting you without burning your skin, btw. The military is testing crowd control methods with microwaves designed to raise the temperature of the moisture in your body without leaving burns. Considered safe with the proper protocols, I'd wager the calculus would change if we were talking about 1 hour exposure a day at close range for 50 years. And although RF radiation (also emitted by cell phones) is generally thought of as safe, we haven't really been placing sources of it next to our head for great periods of time until recently, and even a little distance dramatically reduces the effect any radiation source can have on cells. RF radiation's impact can be similar to that of microwave radiation.

10. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

So, because the Military can weaponize microwaves, we should worry about cell phones?

Actually, the folks you linked to seem to have more perspective here than in that one news release from 2009.

I am most certainly not arguing that we shouldn't continue to study and monitor this longitudinally. It would be irresponsible not to and no one credible I am seeing is arguing against that.

It is the level of hysteria in the absence of evidence that bothers me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.