CEA Opposes CTIA Support of Plan to Ban Mobile Devices While Driving Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ryan Punzalan, May 9, 2012.

1. Ryan Punzalan

Ryan Punzalan Brighthand Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Good. This entire premise is simply idiotic, and also dependent on the premise that no one would ever have an emergency that required them to use a phone while in the car, nobody ever carries passengers who might want to use their mobile devices, nobody needs to use a GPS device, etcetera, etcetera.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

That whole idea of disabling devices is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I agree, idiotic. Until someone manages to do it only for the driver or something, it's a non-starter.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

My state, Alabama, just passed a no-texting-while-driving law. They stopped short of telling you that you can't call while driving. I think it may take this to convince people that texting while driving is dangerous.

It's practically unenforceable of course but still a good idea. I think it will mean that if somebody has an accident while texting, they're up the creek, though.

The editor of Cafe Racer magazine has an article in his mag this month stressing the dangers and, as motorcyclists, we are especially vulnerable so it's doubly important for that crowd.

He related a recent incident wherein he was stopped in gridlock somewhere when a rear-ender happened close to him. He looked down to see a driver's phone skidding down the asphalt.

No, disabling phones is silly.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

What we really need is technology to prevent teenage passengers from being in cars with teenage drivers.

7. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Indeed. Technology is not the problem. Idiocy is. Try to make cars idiot proof, and they'll make a "better" idiot. I don't know exactly how one weeds out the idiots fairly and effectively, but I know this ain't it.

No matter what triggers and fail safes were implemented, Adama is right on, one type of emergency would be unanticipated and people would die as a result. I don't think there'd be a single life saved, because taking one toy away from someone determined not to pay attention won't make them pay attention.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity