caught in endless loop

Discussion in 'Palm' started by danscott7, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danscott7

danscott7 Mobile Enthusiast

My palm tx ix caught in an endless loop. I clicked on an application, and, instead of it opening, the palm started to reboot. the screen where the bar moves across the bottom came up, then the screen that reads "palm powered", and the screen that SHOULD have come up next, which displays the date and time and I can click the "done" button on the screen, didn't. instead, the screen went black, and after a few seconds, the screen with the bar came up again, then the screen reading "palm powered", then the screen went black, etc etc etc.
    eventually the battery wore down and it stopped obviously.
    how do i fix this?

2. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

I think you have either an incompatible application, or a corrupted database.

If you installed anything recently, that may be the culprit.
    Can you do a warm reset? Push the reset button and hold the 5 way 'Up button until the palm logo appears. This may stop the reset loop and enable you to delete the offending app.

If you have a corrupted database, try running DBfixit or tealscan after a warm reset, and hopefully this will repair the problem.

The only other thing I can think of is a corrupt prefs database. This will require a hard reset and renaming the backup folder before syncing. This will mean you need to reload all the 3rd party apps afresh and reconfigure everything.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sorry for your troubles. :(

Have you installed anything new recently? An incompatible app can cause the Neverending Reset Loop. Perform a Warm Soft Reset, instructions here, and then remove the offending app if you know what it is. Follow with a regular Soft Reset. If you've been running NVBackup or another backup app, you can Hard Reset your device and then restore it from an earlier backup that you know doesn't contain troubles. These tasks can be accomplished while the TX is plugged into the power source since you have indicated that your battery is pooped.

Post your results. :)

(Edit: I see the bluefish is fast today. ;) )

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

I am currently up to three words per minute;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Try hunting the problem with programs like TraceCrash or Crash Pro. Palm OS follows a crash log and apps like these allow you to know the source of the problem.

6. danscott7

The resets didn't work. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'd hate to see my 200$ handheld become a useless brick.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

What happened when you tried to do the warm reset (also known as a system reseet)? Have you tried a hard reset? Click the link in my sig for reset help.

8. filaan

filaan Maranatha

Not long ago, my TX got caught in an endless loop - VERY frustrating. I ended up doing a number of hard resets. What finally worked was hard resetting and then renaming my old back up file and making a new one. Then picking and choosing only the 3rd party software I was ABSOLUTELY sure of. Voila! No more loop. Still don't know whether it was ePocrates trying to autosync that caused it or a virus that my work computer had.

Hope that helps!

filaan

9. danscott7

i tried all resets and none of them worked. after performing the reset the splash screen comes up again and the loop starts afresh.

10. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

After installing some software that is not for the TX (I like to experiment) I got into a situation just as you describe. The way I got out of it was to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. It then rebooted up one time, upon connecting the battery, and has been fine ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.