Cassi whines - Netb's fault

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cassidy0423, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Just to add some humor: I'm a bit late getting back to check on things here and responsing to Cassi's PM. The truth is, after my morning of major chain sawing, I spent half the afternoon teaching a blonde how to change the front brake pads on her car. What a hoot! But I have to say: She did very well and is now going to let me teach her about a full tune-up.

So, you see, Cassi... That RAM upgrade thing will be a breeze! ;)

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Chain sawing? Is that like sawing one thing right after the other, non-stop? Sounds like an addiction. :rolleyes: :D

3. JRakes

Actually, it was sawing one thing right after another... A giant, overgrown tree / shrub with countless "trunks" and dense foliage up over the roofline. Needless to say, it was all a giant tangle, so cutting one or two at a time wasn't going to work - I just started sawing through. Until half the thing fell on me, chain saw whirring. Then I got the chain in a bind and it came off the bar. Fortunately, all that tangled foliage caught it and I kept my arm. But the thing is now in pieces, cut up into lengths that the city brush truck will take in two HUGE piles at the street.

Oh, did I mention that there was an old bird's nest in it? I can only hope it was a mockingbird nest. *evil laughter*

4. avisitor

avisitor Mobile Deity

Running a nonpatched Windows Operating System is insane!!!!!!!!!!

Just install the service packs. Update Windows regularly. You'll be happier and your life will be easier if you do.

Personally, I like my Windows CDs with SP3 already on them.

Also, defragmenting a NTFS filesystem often is not necessary and will serve to slow down the filesystem. Once a month is enough, no more.

5. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Ditto that. IME, Win XP with SP2 is pretty much the standard. It seems to be a pretty good/stable OS. There is also SP3, but alot of people seem to be sticking with SP2.

6. avisitor

avisitor Mobile Deity

The main issue with SP3 is with AMD processors and OEM's enabling the intelppm module which is not remotely needed for those processors which causes an infinite reboot loop. It's fixable from the recovery console.

7. JRakes

Well, Lappie (an HP) has an AMD processor and I've not had the first hint of problems with SP3. Apparently they didn't enable the Intel module. That sort of thing sounds like a major blunder on the part of the OEMs!

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

How's it going, cassi? Is your laptop working the way you want?

9. JRakes

And did you get the CD I sent you?

10. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

I did get the CD - thank you:)

Well, I got the OS reinstalled, I finally got my broadband connection to work, and I've installed one of two new 1gb memory modules.

Now, if anyone could please, please tell me where the other slot is for the 2nd module, I would be so grateful. No HP couldn't tell me. Their response was to remove the existing module and I would see the 2nd slot below.
    There is only one slot. They only thing I can think of is that you install one on top of the other, but it doesn't seem like there is enough room for that. I am stumped.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.