Car charger doesn't charge iPAQ, battery drains slowly

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by leandyu, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leandyu

leandyu Mobile Enthusiast

I've found that my cigarette lighter adapter doesn't seem to charge or maintain the battery charge properly on my iPAQ when using my bluetooth GPS receiver. I've confirmed that when I plug in the iPAQ to the car charger, it shows as "charging", but when I used my GPS today, after about 1 hour of use, the battery had drained down to 80% (from 100% starting point), even though the battery indicator still says "charging".

Has anyone else found this problem with their unit? I also have 12V DC inverter and I might try that next time I use my GPS. I suspect that the 5A output from the cigarette lighter adapter somehow isn't enough to maintain or increase the battery level while using my iPAQ with bluetooth turned on and backlight turned high? This is pretty lame as it means I won't be able use my iPAQ for extended GPS use, as the car charger is pretty much useless.

2. body-snatch-her

body-snatch-her Mobile Evangelist

Do you have the iPAQ set to fast charge? I've found that the slow charge setting is too low to keep up with even ordinary use.

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Are you sure that the output from your adapter is 5 amps? That's far higher than any 12 volt adapter I'm aware of. 0.5 amps is more like it.

I'd suggest you try the "fast charge" option as well.

4. leandyu

leandyu Mobile Enthusiast

OK, I'll try the "fast charge" setting. Sorry I meant 5V output.
    Would using a power inverter and the A/C charger make any difference?

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Yes, I'm sure that an inverter and AC adapter would charge it, but that would require a lot of extra bulk and inconvenient cabling.

6. George99

George99 Mobile Enthusiast

I am so glad that I have found your post!!! I have the same problem when using TomTom with the BT GPS - everything indicates charging but the battery goes down... I was also thinking about the DC inverter but you are right - too much cables and stuff... There must be any other solution!

But I have to also make a compliment for iPaq 114 - it navigated 4 hours without charging, I think it is a good result.

George

7. okaussie

okaussie Mobile Evangelist

This is what I purchased from Best Buy. It not only charges my IPAQ perfectly, it also has another USB port so I can charge my DeLorme Bt-20 GPS receiver at the same time.

This saves my dc outlets and works great.

Got it for $19.95 in store but you can purchase it online as well.

Scoshe - Dual USB Car Charger - Black
    Model: USB12V2 | SKU: 8738805

TIA

Bill

8. George99

9. okaussie

okaussie Mobile Evangelist

It does not specify how much output current it produces. You need one at least 500ma for the IPAQ to charge. Mine does.
    My USB port on my PC does not have enough and will not charge mine. It looks like it is by the amber light on the IPAQ but if you watch the battery it shows it declines instead of charging.

Make sure your charging device is at least 500ma or it won't work.

Bill

10. George99

Problem solved!

According to Bill´s advice I bought this original HP adapter (1.000 mA) and it really works!

So thanks a lot, Bill :)

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.