Capacitive Stylus!

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Hook, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

I decided, as an experiment, to try a capacitive stylus. I didn't know if I would like it, so I ordered THIS ONE because it was cheap.

I love actually using my fingers to manipulate the screen, but I keep having trouble with on-screen typing when I don't hook up my Apple BT keyboard. I don't know if my fingers are too fat or if the Nexus One's digitizer is too sensitive or if I am just clumsy, but I am always getting the wrong letters firing and it makes me go very slow and still have to stop and correct errors. As I practice more it has gotten better, but there seems to still be a large range of error.

Well I just tried the stylus for the first time. Wow! My typing speed instantly improved three fold. The stylus can type out letters on the keyboard very accurately with no slip-ups. I'm now back up to MyKbd speeds.

I don't want the stylus for anything else, but for typing on-screen, I find it indispensible.

Unfortunately, because thereis no silo, this will be easy to lose or at least leave somewhere. I think I need 6, so I can leave 2 at work, have 2 at home and 2 in my backpack. That way, I should always have one available. :rolleyes:

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

3. Hook

That's ok. Somehow, pulling out something I made out of my socks to use on my cool Nexus One... I'll keep paying $10 for something that cost probably 10 cents to manufacture, thank you. ;)

4. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

That's one of my big concerns. I harbor unjustified hope that one day, I'll be able to fit the guts of some snapdragon droid into my TP2's body. I'll start dual booting it this summer, but eventually I'm going to want more power, and 6 stylii isn't going to do it for me if I have no silo. I'll be buying in bulk straight from the factory.

Sucker! :D You're probably too cool to use a sausage too. :newpalm: :p

5. Hook

Luckily, the stylus clips very securely in my shirt pocket and I'm just square enough to mostly wear shirts with pockets.

I can get it to actually clip pretty securely to the outer flap of Hookette's belt holster, but the bumpy case doesn't really agree with my OC impulses. ;)

It's a nice if very basic stylus. It is the perfect length and thickness for easy handling and perfect aim control. Nothing fancy, a plastic tube with a very soft rubber tip that has enough give to act like a finger tip, but probably 1/2-1/3 the diameter of my pointing finger.

Most of my on-screen typing is done in portrait mode because Iusually want to see more screen than I get when typing in landscape mode (again, the advantages of a hardware keyboard, sigh). Anything requiring major typing will generally get me pulling out my Apple BT keyboard.

6. Hook

Turns out, you can get these things pretty dang cheap. I'm finding 3-packs on Amazon for about $2.00 each. :)

They are universally advertised as being for the iPhone, but in fcat a capacitive stylus is a capacitive stylus and it turns out even theone I got is advertised for an iPhone (I missed these cheper ones before by searching for Nexus One accessories).

On other comment. These styli are only good for pointing tasks like the keyboard. They do *not* glide on the screen, so can't be used for flicking, gliding or drawing. However, that's fine with me, I just want it for the keyboard. My finger is preferred for everything else.

7. jigwashere

I'm posting from my TP2 using the on screen keyboard in portrait mode. It's not terrible. I'm trying to figure out xt9 corrections.

8. Hook

But you don't have a capacitive screen. :rolleyes:

9. jigwashere

Very true. I was just showing off...sort of. :)

10. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I'm still waiting to hear if Hook will use a sausage... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.