can't reinstall palm desktop or make hotsync work

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by mhguda, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

I recently upgraded to the new 4.14 version of palm desktop on windows 98 se. It works at home but at the office it's nothing but trouble. The latest development is I can't hotsync (the hotsync window comes up then closes immediately, the error is 8009 some application does not initialize). I tried to reinstall but then setup complains that it cannot find the msi package. It sends me to find it on a cd, but i had downloaded it from the website and there is only a setup file, not palm desktop.msi that the installshield wizard is looking for.

Other than that the palm desktop seems ok. However the usb option for the hotsync setup is not visible in the setup menu, even though I've used hotsync for as long as I've had the palm (about a year and a half) and it worked before. It's only stopped working now, and I'm not really sure what changed? I am not aware I made any changes to my system that would affect the ability to hotsync. It just up and stopped working and won't let me fix it.

2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

That sounds like the QuickInstall issue I've had w/ Palm Desktop v4.1SP03 that I recently posted in this thread. I'm curious: If you enable alarms on the PC, do they work?

To get around the HotSync issue, I had to be sure that nothing was in the QuickInstall tool to be sent to the Palm, either in the handheld or card category. I use the original Palm Install Tool to send files to the Palm.

Check the QuickInstall and alarms thing out and, if you don't mind, post back with what you find. If you have the same issues, maybe we can get a little further along in sorting it all out.

Joe

3. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for responding so quickly.
    I checked the quickinstall, it's empty and so is the original install tool.
    I've set some new alarms that so far have not gone off, so I guess my answer to that is no, alarms do not work, but I have nothing waiting to quickinstall.

4. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

One more question: I read your previous post, and I'm wondering: what registry troubleshooting did you do? I found the kb article about error 8009 but it's very drastic, basically telling me to remove everything to do with the palm desktop, and since setup does not work for me I'm very leery to do that since I may then be stuck with a situation where I can no longer even install the palm desktop software. Now at least the desktop seems to work. It comes up normally even with alarms enabled, unlike in your situation. But they don't go off.

5. JRakes

Thanks for the info!

I read that KB article, too. I did not, however, go deleting registry keys. After the install troubles, I am wary of removing those things. What I did was go through every single registry entry relating to U.S. Robotics (the Palm stuff) to verify application paths and pointers, settings that I could identify, etc. I did the same with most of my third party software that utilizes a dedicated conduit. I couldn't find anything that looked incorrect. But, as I mentioned in the other post, I have no way of knowing what might be missing. I've run various reg scans, reg clean utilities, and Norton WinDoctor. Nothing shows up relating to the Palm stuff - Except the issues w/ Palm Desktop and alarms, non-functioning (debilitating?) QuickInstall, and now the dropped conduit(s). Interestingly, I've installed other updates to apps that use a dedicated conduit with no problems.

I've tried the various reinstalls that have been suggested in numerous threads for various install problems, with no better success. With an existing installation, there is an option to "Repair," but that obviously hasn't accomplished anything, either.

The lack of alarms functioning might be common to whatever is plaguing both of our installations, just causing the other errors for me w/ the WinME OS. BTW: I'm up to date w/ all of the Windows updates.

I'm still hoping I can step back to the original v4.1 of Palm Desktop, as I had no issues with that version at all. Frankly, I haven't seen anything in the later releases that really adds anything useful to me. The QuickInstall is just a dressed up version of the previous Install Tool, and using a device w/ OS4.1, I don't use the Photos or VoiceMemo stuff.

If (and that's a big IF) I do the ultimate and totally remove Palm Desktop for a new reinstall from scratch, I'll definitely scour the registry of anything related to Palm Desktop.

If you find any other info, please post back. I'll do the same. And hopefully somebody else can provide some additional info to help get this sorted out.

Joe

6. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this means anything, but here is what I've noticed on my system: I have hotsync on my taskbar (always available) and the USB entry is selected. However when I go to the setup menu the choice seems to be limited to one of four serial ports. This has been set in the registry also. I edited the registry for it to read USB, and now when I try to set it up it says USB is not available, and again resets my choices to the serial ports. But the USB port is available, and it is working correctly. I use a powered hub and use a printer and two flash drives from it in addition to the palm. I tried the palm on one of the other ports with the same result. I changed the hotsync cable; there was no change. I hotsynced at home, so the palm connectors are good. Does this give you any idea? I also compared what I hoped were the relevant files with those I have at home; but they seem to be identical. I'm really stumped. At this point, my workaround is to make a backup using syncwizard (works) and get my organizer data (address, datebook etc) from the hotsync at home. That means I can't enter new stuff from the desktop, but at least I don't lose my information.

7. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

From the HS SETUP / Local option, you can only modify the connection for the serial comm ports. The comm ports listed will be all available denoted by Comm 1, 2, 3, and/or 4.

The local USB option is available and slected?? there is not any changes or options available on PC windows platforms, this duty is controled by the device drivers.

Since you have other devices connected to your USB and they function, have you attempted a hotsync with the Palm cradle/cable connect directly to the system, with the other devices not connected?

What windows platform at work? win98 as well?

If a newer system, many USB ports are be installed as USB 2, the Palm utilizes USB 1, some systems, (Dell) report they have to be manually selected to function with USB 1 devices.

Also, if the wrong driver is selected, the problem can occur. Open your device manager / hardware listing.

When the Palm's hotsync button is pressed, the list should automatically refresh to include the Palm handheld. To update the driver, select this line, right click, Properties, and update, but manually point to the \Palm directory to locate the correct driver for your HH's ID.

Another item, though minor, is I have observed troubles when installing the Palm desktop. the Source folder must be located equal or higher in the folder structure than the destination. Try relocating your download installer complete to a C:\ location, and then try installing. make sure all others including virus-protection are disabled for the install. If an Xp or win2000 platform you must have admin rights for the PC or domain you normally function, then can be demoted after the installation and first hotsync complete.

Hope something here will assist in sorting out?!!

8. JRakes

In my case, w/ WinME, I've tried installing from the root C:\ and with everything else shut down. The installer still doesn't seem to fully register everything, in particular the datebook / alarm components and the address book components. I'm not sure if everything else is fully registered, but I haven't noticed any issues w/ the sections of Palm Desktop that I use, e.g. Memo, ToDo. Other than the alarms, the Datebook section seems to work normally. Addresses work normally, but the diagnostics with PalmEudoraSync indicate that something isn't fully registered there, in particular some pointers to some of the entries in an address record like emails, phone numbers, etc. The old Install Tool works fine, as well - I simply avoid ever using the QuickInstall module, as it prevents a HotSync. One other odd thing, though: PInstall won't work w/ the SP03 update, whereas it worked fine before. Makes me wonder if the SP03 update modified something related to the sync communications. All of this has only happened w/ the v4.1SP03 update - The previous (original) v4.1 update installed without a hitch and everything worked fine.

Hope you don't mind my jumping into this thread - The problems seem somewhat similar to me.

Joe

9. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

Yes, I tried that. Same result.
    I don't know how to update this driver! The file, palmusbd.sys, is in the system32 subfolder of windows. (Win 98 here as well, yes). The strange thing in all this is that I had installed the update before, and it has, in fact, worked as supposed to. Until it stopped working. And I can't reinstall it because when I try that, the installer halts a while when configuring installer, then it accesses my floppy drive (?!), and then comes up with a dialog window saying select feature from, and a drop down box with one option: 1. When I browse it looks for palm desktop.msi, which it then cannot find (the setup file I downloaded, and am running from my desktop (windows\desktop) (I have also tried c:\download) is called setup.exe. I thought maybe my windows installer was broken but I have reinstalled that, with no change.

When I try to hotsync the window on my desktop opens, and almost immediately shuts down again (I almost couldn't catch the updating in my device manager!). I have to manually open the log file, it does not pop one up on my screen the way it would when the hotsync has another problem. Then I see error 8009 about the corrupt registry (can't find the source for that either). The hotsync log on the palm says An application on the PC failed to respond to the hotsync operation initialization notification. This application may need to be restarted.
    It's not clear what application this is, or how it can be restarted.

10. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Have you reviewed this palmone page and download and activated the hotsyncCheckUtility ?

There is also some additional detail regarding cleaning a system of an 8009 error from "Xoanan". Will try to locate as well.

Here is Xoanan's detail in this thread , dealing with win98 platform.

11. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks bab2000. Yes I have checked palmone for the support, it's the first place I looked. I also followed your supplied link. I edited the registry, deleting the palm desktop subkey of the usrobotics registry key. I ran hotsync /r to rebuild the registry. This rebuilt the registry entries. The result was that then I could no longer get any communication between my desktop and palm, not even to say that something was not working, as it had before.
    I also remain unable to install or uninstall the palm desktop. I have found the registry entry that causes my system to look on a strange disk for the source package, but unfortunately I do not know how to make it extract the palm desktop.msi package from the setup.exe file that palmone provided. I have also written to them for support btw, and received no answer. I have also tried to download the file again (over 15MB!) but it gives me the same result. I think the two problems must be related but I can't think how, or how to fix them.

12. JRakes

The download .exe can be opened w/ WinZip - It is simply a self-extracting executable. From there you can extract the actual installation files to, say, C:\Palm Install\ . It includes, among others, the .msi files that the installer might be looking for. Try unzipping all of the included files, then run the setup.exe file that is also included. Maybe that will get your installation to work.

Joe

13. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

I think you mean the downloaded archive. The setup.exe is not extractible. The way I have at least partially solved this problem is this: I found that in the registry (in the uninstall key for the package) there needs to be a variable called localpackage that refers to a randomly named msi file in the windows\installer folder. I found this file on my home system and copied it on my office machine. I then put in the registry referral. That enabled me to finally run the setup program, uninstalling and then reinstalling the palm desktop. It works again, now, although there are still some problems. The computer does not exit cleanly but hangs at the shutdown screen, and I have to rebuild the user.dat file before it will boot again. There is some error still being written to the registry, it would seem.

14. JRakes

Yes, the download .exe - The v4.1SP03 version contains 10 files, including 2 .msi's, the setup.exe, and others.

It definitely sounds as if the installer is writing, or not writing, something to the registry that fouls things up.

I'm still debating a total uninstall and starting over, but haven't yet convinced myself it's worth the pain.

Joe

15. JRakes

Oops - Miscounted! There are 8 files in the downloaded .exe files. I had a couple of KB pages saved to that directory. I'd found them after the problems started. But, the .msi's are there, along with the actual setup.exe. (This is for the v4.1SP03.)

Anyway, I finally did an uninstall / reinstall, as posted here. It would seem as though the installer included in both the v4.1SP03 and v4.1.4 of PD doesn't function correctly w/ WinME and prior versions of Windows.

FYI,
    Joe

16. mhguda

mhguda Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks Joe.
    I did not do nearly as thorough a cleanup, and in fact I've kept a few known registry errors in the new palm desktop around, merely because I still don't know what it was that gave me all that pain. There are misspelled references to icon files for a number of items in the registry - the filenames are just misspelled from what is actually there. I remember in my illfated install I had found and corrected those. Don't know if that is what caused the trouble. Maybe I should rename the files instead of edit the registry pointers. I'm gonna leave well enough alone. For now, it works. And I think it does look nice.
    Thanks for your interest during the whole thing. Glad it helped you a little, too.

17. JRakes

Glad to hear you've got yours sorted out, too! Maybe I'm developing a one-track view of all of this, but if file names were misspelled in the registry entries, especially if they were for files included in the install package, then it would seem that the installer really does have some problems.

I would probably be more inclined to modify the registry entries, myself. After backing up the registry, that is ;) With all of the files and components, there's no telling what files might be accessed via the execution of another file, so renaming files might cause more probs. Then again, the access of one file from another might be via the registry, so... Who knows? If you have your installation working well, maybe it's best to leave well enough alone.

Hope it continues to work correctly for you!

Joe