Can't Access Address Book or Datebook For Palm Anymore

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Sheilajeanne, Aug 27, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That was a good test bringing the files from your office. I do hope you have an older backup as Hook mentioned.

Hook, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Charles987

Charles987 Mobile Enthusiast

No backups. Is there a way to open the address file in another program? I just need the address and memo file. Thank you

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello all. I've been in the field with no internet access for the last few days. I just arrived at the airport and finally I'm going home. Sorry I left this thread but it's nice to see there's been a significant advance. Tonight I'll take a closer look, see if I can contribute something. Good luck Charles987.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I take it that, since your mdb files have the Palm Desktop icon, that you don't have MS Access on your computer. Do you know anyone that does have Access. I think Access can load those files and probably could export the data as an Excel spreadsheet, though I'm not sure on any of this as I haven't done it. However, I think that's part of why Access(the company, no relation to the MS software) changed over to mdb files-- database compatibility.

Raspy might have a better solution when he lands. ;-)

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  5. Charles987

Thank you. I have MS Access but again no data appears. When I open the work information in Access it does open. I don't understand because there is 704kb of data when I look at the file. The office one has 708Kb. Can you ask Raspy when he lands?

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

He'll check in here as soon as he is able. Although we are an English-speaking forum, members live/work in various locations around the globe and there are geographical and time-zone differences to be accommodated. Check back later and hopefully you'll know more within 24 hours. :vbsmile:

jigwashere, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  7. Charles987

OK. cool. Thank you. I guess all I need at this point is a solution on how to open that file in any other program.

Have a Happy Holiday!

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

If you're super careful about making backup copies of all files, maybe you could take the ones from your home computer and try opening them in Palm Desktop on your office computer. Just make sure you're confident you have a solid backup.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'm sorry to say this does not bode well. The work file works in PD and Access. The home database does neither. The file size notwithstanding, it looks like something zapped your home data. You can try opening the home data in a text editor. There will be a lot of garbage in the result, but it may show you your data. I don't know how you can recover that data, but, again, see what Raspy comes up with.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  10. AC1

AC1 Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum, and I am new to Forums in general, so I hope this is the right place for me to ask for help.

I am experiencing a somewhat similar issue to the one that Charles has been experiencing.

I have a Windows8 OS, system, and I have been using only the Palm Desktop v6.2 (PD) (named PalmDesktopWin62, and as per Windows Installation Program Manager it states it is 6.4.0.0). I do not use a Palm device anymore. I only use the Desktop Palm for managing Contacts/Addresses and nothing else.

Earlier this morning I was moving several files from the PC to Google’s cloud storage as a way of making space on my SSD, and this included where I had saved the downloaded executable of the Palm Desktop v6.2.

I thought I was being very careful to make sure to not move or delete the folder called Palm OS Desktop or its sub-folders and contents, but apparently I may not have been careful enough.

I have identified that I have a 3 MB Address.ABA file, an Address file with the Microsoft Access icon of just over 1 MB in size and an Address.mdb.bak of about 1.5 MB in size; as well as a copy I made, in addition to the copy of the entire folder. (see attached image).

When I open the Palm Desktop, only about one third of the data in contacts was visible. It appears that the application is picking up an old .ABA or Other extension file from several years ago, and is therefore missing all the changes and addition since then.

I have followed the instructions on Uninstalling and Installing PD twice, each time deleting the folder Documents> Palm OS Desktop> and I still see only the very old data.

I am not sure where the PD is getting this old data it is displaying on the screen from, and how do I get it to retrieve the data that was updated and had several hundred more entries.

Any help with solving this would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

+AC

Attached Files: