Can't Access Address Book or Datebook For Palm Anymore

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Sheilajeanne, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I'm kind of leaving this to Raspy because I haven't used Palm Desktop in a very long time, but have you tried running it as administrator to see if that makes a difference? Ignoring what Raspy said about syncing a device, did you try his suggestion of uninstalling, deleting the whole Palm folder tree and then reinstalling Palm desktop? I would run it first time as admin and set up the user Cesar, then copy the contents of the old Cesar folder to the new folder. Don't know if it will solve it but a)it's what I would try and b) it's all I've got. :vbwink: Raspy is much better at this than I am.

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and jigwashere like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I think I found a way to solve this problem, without using a Palm device. I backed up the hotsync data on my computer, uninstalled PalmDesktop, cleared the existing folder structure, then reinstalled PalmDesktop, copied the hotsync data to the new folder structure, and regained access to the hotsync data. Here's a step-by-step:

1. Backup the hotsync folder elsewhere on your computer. In your computer, files seemed to be somewhat messed up: there's the expected PalmDesktop (PD for short) folder structure (pictures 1 and 2), but inside the Address folder there's another hotsync user folder (picture 3) and inside this there's the whole folder structure again (pictures 4, 5). At this point there's no easy way to know which structure holds your data, so better just copy everything elsewhere. Open the PD folder as shown in pic 1, right-click the "Ceasar" folder, select "Copy", then go to the desktop or any other place you want to save this folder, right-click on an empty space, select "Paste". This is your backup holding the PD data. Check that everything is ok by opening this folder and subolders, you'll see all the files inside.

2. Uninstall PD.

3. Delete the current PD folder structure. Open your Documents folder (on Windows8_OS/Users/Charlie/Documents, in other words, one step back from pic 1). Select the Palm OS Desktop folder, and delete it.

4. Reinstall PD. In case you need the installer, PD 6.2 is on Hook's Palm TX Help page here. When asked about the install you want to do, select "Complete". Uncheck the "Download newer settings.." dialogue when it appears.

5. Enter username when asked. You can enter your usual name or a new one, it doesn't matter.

6. Skip hotsync. Dismiss the warning you'll see. Follow the steps to complete the installation. Do not open PD at this moment.

7. Open your Documents folder. You'll see a brand-new Palm OS Desktop folder.

8. Open the Palm OS Desktop folder. Inside you'll see a new hotsync user folder, named after the username you selected. Usually it's an abbreviated combination of the words in the username you selected.

9. Open the hotsync user folder. It should be empty, and that's ok, because you haven't synced this new user or added data to it.

10. Restore your hotsync data. Here's the tricky part, because we're not sure whether the data is on the top folder (Palm OS Desktop/Ceasar in pic 2) or in the nested folder (Palm OS Desktop/Ceasar/Address/Ceasar, in pic 4). I think it's in the nested folder. so we'll try this first. To restore, open the nested folder (pic 4), select all files and folders inside, right-click, Select "Copy". Then go to the new hotsync folder (Documents/Palm OS Desktop/<user>), right-click, select "Paste".

11. Locate the PalmDesktop program shortcut. It may be on the Desktop, or in the Start Menu. Right-click on the PD shortcut, select "Properties".

12. Go to the Compatibility tab, place a check on "Run this program as Administrador". Click Ok

13. Launch PalmDesktop. You'll see a system warning that PD is trying to modify stuff, etc. That's ok, because you gave PD administrator rights. Click ok on that warning (you'll see it again at each launch). You'll also see a warning that PD is not the default handler for vCard/vCal files (contacts and calendar respectively). Select "No" and place a check on "Don't ask again".

That's it. You should see all your data again, if the data was in the nested folder as I suggested above. You can check the calendar, contacts, memos, etc., to see if something is missing. If that is the case, it will be necessary to selectively restore data from the folders in pic 1, so be sure to keep the backup folder intact until you're certain you've recovered all your data. This is why I wrote "Copy" on each step above, so the data in the backup folder is not moved, but duplicated on the destination.

I think a big part of the problem is that PD is not running as Administrator, as Hook said above. Steps 11 and 12 fix this. If PD does not have Administrator rights, then it will fail to properly read the data in the hotsync folder. I seem to remember that when Administrator rights were not given not even the icons for Memos, Address, etc., would appear on PD. But it is also necessary to fix the nested folders so it will be possible to properly identify and backup data when needed, that's why it was necessary to do the other steps. I think this could work just by backing up the data, then deleting the Palm OS Desktop (without uninstalling/reinstalling PD), then copying the data again to the new folder, but I think it may be better to do a clean install to clear any problems with the folders and PD.

Charles987, please let us know if this fixes your problem, or if you need more assistance. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  3. Charles987

Charles987 Mobile Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I did exactly as you said and did a clean install. Everything was right until step 12. I attached a pic of what I see when I click COMPATIBILITY (pic 1a). If I click CHANGE SETTINGS FOR ALL USERS.. i get pic (2a). When I launch Palm i get no warnings. I do not see data though. (see pic 3a). Ugh. I'm so upset. So the last image I attached is the folder because it doesn't look nested anymore. (pic 4a)

Attached Files:

• 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      166.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2a.jpg
      2a.jpg
      File size:
      269.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3a.jpg
      3a.jpg
      File size:
      260.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4a.jpg
      4a.jpg
      File size:
      262.9 KB
      Views:
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

If you don't get a warning, then it could be that PalmDesktop is not running as Administrator. However, I'm not certain about this. On my Windows10 laptop, if I revoke Administrator rights to PD, when I launch it I don't even see the icons for Date, Address, Memo, and To Do, and I can't see or access my data. I only see the icons for Media and Install.If I grant Admin rights and launch PD, then I see all the icons and have normal access to the data. On your computer you do have the full icons, but no data. Just to be sure, please try this: right-click the PalmDesktop shortcut icon, there should appear an item saying "Run as Administrator" (regardless of whether the checkbox in Properties is marked or not). You should see a warning asking you if you want this app to modify files, etc. Accept this, then check if PD has access to your data or not.
    Yeah, I understand you. It's very frustrating to lose access to one's data. But let's keep trying to solve this. The folder structure looks ok. The only other thing I can think of is check the files themselves. Please activate viewing of file exensions in the folders (on Win10 can be done opening any file explorer window, going to Menu ->File -> Change Folder and Search Options -> View tab -> Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"). That way it will be possible to see if the files in the hotsync folder have the proper extensions, or if they have changed somehow.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Those look like newly created files, not the ones from your original screen shot. Do you still have those files?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

scjjtt likes this.
  6. Charles987

Ok so if I right click and run as admin the program opens without warnings or errors. There is no data though. I have attached the unchecking of "hide files." I also attached screenshots of all folders within Ceasar. The last screenshot (see next message) is what happens when I click address address.mdb and address.mdb.bak. They basically open the program but with no data. Anyway to get this data opened by another program? I can just put it all on a spreadsheet if this doesnt work.

Attached Files:

• 1b.jpg
      1b.jpg
      File size:
      410.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2b.jpg
      2b.jpg
      File size:
      481.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3b.jpg
      3b.jpg
      File size:
      235.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4b.jpg
      4b.jpg
      File size:
      280.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5b.jpg
      5b.jpg
      File size:
      262.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Charles987

Here you are. Thanks

Attached Files:

• 6b.jpg
      6b.jpg
      File size:
      295.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Charles987

Attached Files:

9. Charles987

I THINK I AM GETTING CLOSER. As I said I have the same setup in my office but the data opens up in my office. I wanted to see if I copy the data from my office palm folder and paste it into the folder at home here if it works. I used log me in to copy the folder and paste into the folder of my home computer that I am having issues with. The files opened!! But then when I copied and pasted the same files from the back up I made and it did NOT open.. If you're wondering my home computer has different data than my office so although the 2 usernames are the same the data is different.

I put the files side by side maybe you can see something i don't. The left is the home that does not work. It's very strange. I even opened the properties so you can see. Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1c.jpg
      1c.jpg
      File size:
      448.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2c.jpg
      2c.jpg
      File size:
      496.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3c.jpg
      3c.jpg
      File size:
      442 KB
      Views:
    • 4c.jpg
      4c.jpg
      File size:
      647.7 KB
      Views:
  10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I don't suppose you have a really old backup of your address book file from when you could view them in Palm Desktop? I'm wondering if the palm data files on your home machine somehow got corrupted. Long shot.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.