Can't Access Address Book or Datebook For Palm Anymore

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Sheilajeanne, Aug 27, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I haven't used Palm Desktop in years, so I'm only guessing.

In the first picture you posted, you showed the address files in the following folder:
    C:\Windows8_OS\Users\Charlie\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\Ceasar\Address\Ceasar\Address
    My guess is that Palm Desktop is looking for them in:
    C:\Windows8_OS\Users\Charlie\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\Ceasar\Address

Are there any files in C:\Windows8_OS\Users\Charlie\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\Ceasar\Address? If so, you might want to copy them to a safe location. Once you do that, try copying the files from \Ceasar\Address\Ceasar\Address into \Ceasar\Address.

lelisa13p and raspabalsa like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I brought my TX to work, installed the 64-bit USB driver and PalmDesktop 6.2 (links on Hook's Palm TX Help page) on my laptop, connected the TX, hotsynced, and now I'm looking at all my data from 2012 and before on my computer with PalmDesktop. It's amazing how everything works so nicely, without needing internet, and even after several Windows releases.

On my Windows 10, 64-bit machine, the hotsync data is in C:\Users\"Windows user"\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\"hotsync name". Inside this there are folders named address, datebook, memopad, todo, etc. For Charles987's computer, the path for the folders should be C:\Windows8_OS\Users\Charlie\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\Ceasar\ with the address, datebook, etc., folders inside.

I think jig is right, and folders became nested for some reason or other. What I'd do to solve this is backup the Palm to an SD card (if the model supports it), backup also the data folders (address, datebook, memopad, todo, backup) copying them elsewhere on the computer, then uninstall PalmDesktop, then delete the whole Palm OS Desktop folder and all its subfolders, then reinstall PalmDesktop and hotsync the Palm so it transfers data to the computer and re-creates the folders in the proper locations. In case something goes wrong there are two backups, one on the SD card and another in the computer.

Charles987, if you want to go ahead with this, please let us know if you'd want step-by-step assistance. Would be very useful to know what Palm model you have, and whether or not it has an SD card. Also, your Windows computer is 32-bit or 64-bit, and is it still running Windows 8?

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Funnily enough, I recently resurrected my old Vx and it works, but for a weird thing that never happened before. When I sync it, it throws off the digitizer so much the Vx can't be used. I found an old BH thread from 2002 or 2004 that describes this problem, but never really solved it. I have to dig out my Vx keyboard and see if I can get around it with that.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

It looks like Charles987 does not sync any devices.

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. raspabalsa

I remember this problem. I'm pretty sure it's related to the "saved preferences" file. I think that file was being pushed to the device during hotsync, and apparently that file stores, among many other things, the calibration data for the digitizer. If calibration is old, then it will throw off the digitizer. The solution was to delete the saved prefs file from the Backup folder on the computer, then sync.

EdmundDantes likes this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

raspy, are the files huge? I ask because I'd like to do this, too, but install everything to the secondary D drive because C is pretty small (D is 1TB.) I was able to install iTunes to D and create a shortcut to trick the sync process for my iDevices. What do you think of using the same idea for Palm Desktop?

7. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Due to past and remaining interest I comment only I am still interested in the Palm Desktop. As noted in the past, I believe, it was running fine on a W7 converted to W10 until something blew it, lost the calendar history. My interest in calendar history remains as does my on going need to access years of memos, a history of much of what was important to retain over a number of years. I wonder if I might gain something from a new download of the Palm Desktop... or perhaps better is there someway in Windows or Android to read the Palm Desktop files (folders). I can still access subject memos using the Palm Desktop but wonder if I can use something else to read the files.
    Merry Christmas to all.

lelisa13p likes this.
  8. raspabalsa

No, the files are small, in fact, they're tiny by current standards. I have maybe 500 contacts in my TX, and the database is less than 100 kB in size. The whole hotsync user folder on my computer is less than 100MB, and this includes the backup folder containing all the data in the TX's memory.

Splitting data between several drives is a good idea. I always do that. On my laptop the C: drive is a 240GB SSD containing Windows and programs. The Windows user folder (Desktop, Documentos, Videos, etc) is on the 1TB D: drive. PalmDesktop looks for the Documents folder, wherever it may be, and hooks on to that.

lelisa13p likes this.
  9. raspabalsa

You could reinstall PalmDesktop and copy and paste the data folders to the proper location to access the data. But if you will frequently need to access this data, why don't you migrate it to your current device? PalmDesktop can export to several formats compatible with Google, Outlook, etc.

lelisa13p likes this.
  10. Charles987

Charles987 Mobile Enthusiast

Hi. I'm sorry but I don't have any device. I strictly use the software only because at the time it was worked for me. But everytime I delete the second Cesar folder and then open the program it asks to create a user. I enter Ceasar and it creates the second Ceasar folder. I'm lost. I'll buy a Palm handheld if it will solve this problem but there has to be a better way. I uploaded 5 images. Thank you

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      234.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      269.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg