Can't Access Address Book or Datebook For Palm Anymore

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Sheilajeanne, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Sheilajeanne

Sheilajeanne Newbie

I used to have a Palm Zire 72, and still use the Palm desktop for my datebook and address files.

Recently, I made some major changes to my computer: I installed Windows 10 to replace Win. 7. Shortly after this, my computer was hijacked by a scammer. I fell for it, then had to spend over 2 1/2 hours with a Rogers tech expert, who ran numerous scans and cleaning programs on my computer to remove any crap that had been installed.

Now, I THINK I could still access my phone book after all this, but the other day, when i went to check an appointment time, I found my datebook and address book could no longer be accessed. I remember clicking on a Windows calendar program, but never completed the setup for it. I am wondering if it still managed to hijack my Palm desktop calendar. When I click on the Palm Desktop shortcut, all I can see is my Palm photo viewer and editing program. The address and datebook are nowhere to be found.

I still have the original software disc for the Zire 72, and am thinking of doing an uninstall/reinstall, but the software will not include all the updates installed after I purchased it, and before I lost the ability to sync and update my handheld when I changed to a newer computer.

Help, please?? I REALLY need to get my phone/address book back, not to mention my calendar with all my birthday reminders! I do have some of the more important address info on my cell phone, but it's only a tiny fraction of the total!

I have backed up my address and datebook files in a safe location already, and manually moved the Palm program to the Recycling bin, where I could still retrieve it if something went wrong, but when I tried to run the Zire setup, it still told me there was already a newer version of the software on my computer, and it refused to complete the setup. Too bad the installation disc doesn't have a repair function!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand!

The only thing I can think of -- because we (not me) had to do something similar at work -- is to set up a virtual Win7 machine, if Win10 even allows that.

At work, we had to do that for a critical program which is no longer supported by the vendor, and which only runs Win2000 or WinXP, when the WinXP PC died. Again, I had no part in it, so can't suggest how to proceed if you want to go that route.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Sheilajeanne

You can try installing a newer version of PalmDesktop. Try the one linked to in this thread on HP Support Forums by BH's own WyreNut. Thid version is PalmDesktop 6.2.2, and runs well on Windows 10, including the 64-bit editions.

To avoid data loss, first copy your full Palm user data folder to another location on your hard disk. The user data folder may be at c:/program files/Palm/username, or in Documents/Palm OS Desktop/username.

Better make a clean install, that is, don't just move the palm folder to the trash can. Instead, restore it to its original location, then copy your user data elsewhere, then uninstall PalmDesktop, and then reinstall form the above link.

EDIT: I see Rick has a different approach. I know next to nothing about setting up virtual machines, so I can't comment on that option.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  4. Sheilajeanne

Sheilajeanne Newbie

Well, it seems Sailor Jerry has the same problem, and found a workaround by opening the program as an administrator: http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/problem-with-desktop-and-media-app.292177/ That works for me, too, but I can't access my Palm media files that way. I really don't care, because I don't use those media files, and had even forgotten they were there!

Unfortunately, I've lost my datebook data, which included all my family birthdays and anniversaries, but that will be easier to replace than all my contact information.

I think I will try to copy all my Palm files to another app that is still supported by its maker. There's a program which syncs your contacts and calendar with Outlook, which is one of the e-mail programs I use. Much safer than using an outdated program for such important information!

The Palm desktop WAS working with Windows 10 when I first installed it. I think what must have happened was a Windows 10 update messed things up. If I really needed those Media files, I'd go through the updates and see if I could figure out which one was responsible.

5. jlwu

jlwu Newbie

Exactly what happened to me also after a W10 update.
    Contrary to popular belief the data dir is NOT in c:\users\usernmae\PALM
    it's in a hidden dir
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\palmOne\UserName
    Likely destroyed by now
    Hunt for that dir in your system backup images.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. raspabalsa

If you still have your backup datebook and contact data, then you can recover and add it to PalmDesktop. Is your PalmDesktop program working? If so, try to locate your user folder (I added some usual locations on my previous post). Then, on your backup, locate the DateBook.mdb and Address.mdb files and copy them to their respective locations in the user folder. When you launch PalmDesktop, the original, complete calendar and contact data should be visible. This same process can be applied to your other data (Memos, Media, etc).

My desktop computer went from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 64-bit, and recently it applied the anniversary upgrade of Windows 10. PalmDesktop 6.2.2 has been working fine and all my data is still there. I don't know if older PalmDesktop versions will still work ok on Windows 10, that's why I recommended in my previous post to backup your data and install version 6.2.2.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  7. jlwu

jlwu Newbie

It's none other than Palm 6.22 and it's been running w10 64 for more than 6 months now.
    It's one of those incremental updates that got palm to not show anything and empty out the files in the appdata dir.

If you have archived files it's ok. You can save the archives into documents dirs. Not for those relying on the "save all" where Palm will save everything into that cryptic hidden directory.

Lesson well learnt. B

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. raspabalsa

Actually, my own Palm data on my Win10 machine with PalmDesktop 6.2.2 is in Documents/Palm OS Desktop/username. In my case, the Documents folder is in the D: drive, but by default it's in the C: drive, and in that case the path would be C:/Users/Windows user name/Documents/Palm OS Desktop /username

Back when I used earlier versions of PalmDesktop (4.1.4) on a Win7 machine it was in C:/Program Files/Palm/username or in C:/Program files (x64)/Palm/username for 64-bit machines.

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

jlwu, what do you mean that it's "none other than Desktop 6.2.2?" Not sure how that follows? (I'm sure the error is on my end.)

10. barten7

barten7 Newbie

hi,
    I liked the Posts of this Forum very much.
    let me add now my results and a few more questions.
    present Status: I have win10 Home (Anniversary Update) running on a HP Pavilion 17, and had Palm V desktop Rev 4.1.4.
    HW Connection between PC (USB) and Docking Station is implemented by a 340-USB/RS232-converter.
    Since some months (and some Win10-updates), HotSync did no longer establish Connection between handheld and PC.
    So I downloaded Palm Desktop 6.2.2 and bought a used PalmVx handheld.
    in this configuration, HotSync established Connection between PC and handheld, but no data were transferred.
    other Trouble was, that using desktop's Import function did not assign address data to the address-categories. By the way, I also could not Access the hidden Folder mentioned by JLWU.
    As a consequence, I switched back to 4.1.4, but am unable to make the handheld communicate with the Desktop, though all programs ran throug the compatibility check and were started with admin authorization. Also, device mgr recognizes the Adapter.
    Any idea what else I could do to make them communicate? I have a lot of data stored on the Desktop, so I am reluctant to Switch to an other HW...
    Rds
    P.B.