Cannot Start-Code 10 Error

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by Rkool, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

The conduits are not set correctly.

For a T5, Contacts, Calendar, Memos, and Tasks are basic PIM conduits that should be set to synchronize.

Addressbook, Datebook, MemoPad, ToDo are all older PIM apps for earlier models and these conduits will not connect to your T5.

Also, you mentioned earlier the use of a USB hub(?), try connecting the Palm USB cable straight to the platform's connection and disconnecting other non critical USB devices.

2. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

OK
    I changed everything.
    But I think the problem is with the handheld, the reason I am saying this is because I went out and bought a new Acer Aspire laptop. I closed all programs and loaded the Palm software in it and, this is the only usb port used on this machine, I tried all 3 cables (one being new) and it still did the same thing.
    I took a magnifing glass and checked all of the connectors, yesterday I took the case of the handheld appart and looked it over and it looked fine.
    I used this Palm about 20 times a day, I had all of my business, contacts, dates, documents, loan pro, navigator, spread sheets, music, lectures, etc.
    What I liked most about it was, I was able to slip it in my pocket, and everybody didn't know, it was with me. That is why I am trying everything to fix it !!
    Thanks, Ray

3. BAB2000

What are the results you observed?

Last active report with details indicated sync issues, protocol error? You indicated the Code 10 error was resolved via soft reset.

What do you observe on laptop,? Hotsync log have any messages?

Up to now the replies are not answering advice or suggestions provided, and more damage may have been done as result of user name edit, etc.

Can you collect your thoughts, and present results and reply, we can then approach one issue at a time? Please;)

4. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

This is interesting, when I highlight the HS manager and "view Log", an arrow points to the user name, I click on the user name, and a error box appers it says, The log file
    Hot Sync Manager
    C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\HotSyncLog.htm cannot be found.

When I check this computer, I get the same error box
    I am not receiving a code 10 error on either machine now, in the device manager,after I do a soft re-set, turn it on, and connect it, it bleeps in with the computer and shows up in the device manager.
    I did change all the conducts (on this machine) in the Custom settings as per your recomediations
    Thank You, Ray

5. BAB2000

It has not hotsync then when you have connected?

Does the Hotsync manager window open when attempt is made?

Since the device manager/hardware list refreshs detecting the unit, and if Hotsync Manager is not opening, you will want to confirm the Local USB is selected.

If so, and still no go, then it is possible the Palm device driver for your T5 is no longer assigned correctly within windows. (this can occur if the unit was connected prior to Palm desktop installation is complete)

To correct, monitor the device manager, when th eunit is detected and the list refreshes, select the Palm handheld ine, right select and delete or remove.

Then cancel hotsync on the T5, and attempt again, when NEW HARDWARE FOUND displays, manually point the driver search to the \Palm folder for the correct driver.

You must remember that this driver for hotsync is differant that the driver utilized for DRIVE Mode function of the T5, and I suspect drive mode must be deactivated prior to hotsync is attempted!

6. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

No the HS manager window does not open. I will limit the use right now to the laptop, it is the only USB connected and it is a brand new machine.
    I have Local USB is selected. It will only show up in the device manager after a soft re-set and the handheld needs to be turned on when connected, and if I hit the HS button it will drop out, if it is not turned on (while it's connected) it will not show up in the device manager, also if I have it off and plug it in, and turn it on, it will not be detected.
    I want to follow your directions, but after I hit the HS, it will no longer be in the device manager.
    Also do you want me to go to the program files\ Palm Folder\? I am trying to do this, and it won't allow me to select the whole folder.
    I think this is the problem too. I think we are getting warm.
    Thank You, Ray

7. BAB2000

I do not own a T5, but from what I know, the T5 can be placed in DRIVE MODE and the internal memory will be reconized as an external drive location.

This is what it appears is occurring.

Unsure if you must disable drive mode on the T5 before hotsync or if hotsync will change the unit's configuration.

Can you confirm the setting concerning drive mode?

Otherwise, since the Error10 message has been resolved, and you are know working to resolve problem to just the one PC which as a clean install, this discussion may warrant a new thread in the forum for the T5, another member with the model may be of more assistance than this novice;)

8. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

The Drive Mode is Off, but your suggestion gave me an idea, I turned it on, and it hooked up to the laptop, without a Soft Re-set and it showed up, then when I turned it off , it asked me to use "safely remove hardware" in the task bar, and I did. This way I was able to confirm it is off.
    I then tried to HS, wouldn't work.
    So I went to the HS Manager, clicked "Setup" when I clicked on "Local" I had a box come up that says "The Selected Port, Com 1, is not avalible at this time. Hot Sync Manager will open the port when it becomes available" and I click OK.
    I think I am going to buy a new T/X
    Let me know what you think
    Thanks, Ray

9. BAB2000

The T5 will not communicate via comm port 1, only the USB port.

Since the Drive Mode function is now in sync, it may be pratical to attempt the hotsync monitoring the device manager/hardware list and perform the remove and new hardware add sequence to correctly load the correct driver at this time.

It is most likely the wrong driver had been assigned for the hotsync function.

The T5 I suspect is examined by Windows XP as two different device IDs, one for Palm handhel and hotsync, a second for drive mode function emulating a flash drive.

10. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

I think you are completely correct, it probably has the wrong driver. I am trying to HS, while watching the Device Manager, there are no Palm items in here, and the handheld says the connection could not be made.
    I was also watching the Device Manager when I turned on the Drive Mode, it showes up in Disk drives and as M-System G3 USB Device and USB Device.
    The only way it will show up in the Device Manager as a Palm OS Handheld Device is after I do a soft re-set, and then when I go to sync it drops out.
    I think you are right, it probably is using the wrong driver
    Thanks, Ray

11. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

Also where do I locate the correct driver
    Thanks, Ray

12. BAB2000

The drivers are located in the \Palm folder.

Normally the drivers are installed to the Windows library on installation, but can go foul if the device was connected prior to the correct drivers being installed.

Selecting the Palm Handheld line item from the device manager/hardware list, regardless of connection is likely required. Forcing new hardware found and then manually pointing the \palm folder is the action we seek.

13. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

I tried to force the hardware in the Install Hardware program and it loads the drivers, but I get the Code 10 Cannot start.
    Would it be a good idea to do a soft re-set, (so it shows up in the Device Manager) and try to Update the driver?
    Thank You, Ray

14. BAB2000

I am not certain the cause of the error 10. BUt from the previous reply you provided it was resolved via a soft reset.

As stated previously I do not own a T5, or have had any experience with one.

I do understand the unit has two operation modes.

Normal Handheld mode, and drive mode, which must be manually selected for the unit to function as a flash drive. I suspect two seperate drivers are required to installed on Windows XP depending on the function you want to ultize.

If the unit is in Handheld mode, it should not be detected by the systems Hardware Listing until you press the hotsync button, at that time, then the listing should refresh and include a NEW line indicating Palm Handheld.

If the T5 is in Drive Mode, then when connected it automatically be detected as flash type drive and assigned a drive letter.

Each mode of operation is seperate of the other, and reviewing your replies, it would seem to indicate that you are attempting to force the hardware listing to detect the device on connection. This is not required, as the Palm handheld, with drive mode disable, will not be detected on connection until the hotsync button is pressed.

To resolve your hotsync issue, you must make certain the drive mode is disabled and remains disabled, while attempting to establish the correct driver as previously instructed. And remember the Palm handheld line item in hardware listing should not be revealed until the hotsync button is pressed.

15. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

The drive mode is off, the Palm only shows up after a soft re-set, then it is freshly pluged in, no other buttons pressed. The problem is what you said, it is supposed to refresh, when the HS button is pressed, and it is not! it drops out and is not relocated, unless, it is disconnected, a soft re-set is done and it is pluged back in. But that is the problem, it is not refreshing.
    Thanks, Ray

16. BAB2000

It would seem, that the Windows OS is reconizing the unit on any connection. This would lead to the conclusion that the wrong driver is assigned or the unit is always in DRIVE Mode.

Have you attempted a Warm Reset? This is similiar to a Safe Mode operation of Windows, eliminating all software from interacting within the unit.

Only the basics are to be available.

17. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator