Cannot Start-Code 10 Error

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by Rkool, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

Hi
    Can someone Please help me? I have a Tungston T-5.
    I unpluged my USB cable from my USB hub, to take it on a trip with me when I came back, I could no longer Hot Sync. When I researched this a little, I went into the Device Manager, under the Palm OS Hand Held Devices, there is a question mark ion the Palm Handheld. I clicked this and it say's Device Cannot Start ( Code 10 ) when I click on details it say's Root/Unknown. I have Windows XP Pro
    Can anyone help, I do daily hot sync operations, and have put about 20 hours into research trying to fix this.
    Frustrated, Please Help:confused:

2. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

Are you using the same UserID (as before) for logging into the XP system? Don't use the quick switch - always log out and log back in as the correct user.

3. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

Do you mean as the adminstrator? If this is the question, yes I am.
    If you are refering to something else, please let me know,and if thats it, I will be forever grateful.
    Thanks, Ray
    P.S cute puppy

4. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

Yeah, it almost sounded like a rights issue. I don't have any other quick fixes in my bag of tricks, sorry.

Sasha thanks you! <she's glad someone is being nice to her so soon after she killed a neighbor's chicken>

5. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

No idea - sorry Rkool.

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, Rkool. :)

In the future, please post to your original thread & don't double post. It's harder for you to find your answers in several places & harder for helpers to see what's already been addressed. :)

I have merged this thread with your earlier one.

7. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

A Syncing we will go !!!
    I ordered a new cable and it didn't work ! Then I did a soft reset and pluged the Palm in ------ and WALA Windows built a driver and now I am sync ing. After about 40 hours of removing and installing the software, reading every help info I could get, going into the registry and searching and removing files and re-routing all of my usb cables.
    IT FINALLY WORKED
    Although something interesting happened, right before Windows built the driver, I noticed, that Windows did an automatic Update to my computer - WOW, now I don't know what fixed the problem but who cares IT WORKS.
    I just want to THANK everyone who helped me
    THANK You, Ray

8. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

You're welcome! (Even though it looks like you got it done yourself...)

9. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

I will start from the begining.
    I have a Palm T-5 and am running XP Pro on the computer.
    One day I unpluged the USB from a hub and pluged it back in but it would not Sync.
    I uninstalled and installed the Palm program about 30 times, ran the USB cleaner, tried pluging it into different USB ports (on the front and back of the computer), bought a new Hot Sync cable, moved my user ID file and renamed it, did about 60 soft resets, checked adminstration right on the computer, tried it on my old computer, did a hard reset and am losing my hair at 10 times the normal rate.
    Here's what happens; I do a soft reset, hook it up to the hot sync cable and the device manager reconizes the device, as soon as I try to hot sync, the device drops out and will not be reconized unless I do a soft re-set.
    Also when I load the Palm desk top (from the disc w/ all programs closed), at the end of loading, I get an ERROR message; Hot Sync Wizard Has Encountered a problem and needs to close.
    I would be forever gratefull for some help, I wish I had a doller an hour for all the time I have sprent on this.
    Thanks, Ray

10. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Well I am not sure my advice is going to be that helpful from the above.

I would make sure that the hotsync icon is in the icon bar. If not, then the hotsync manager is not running. If the icon is there, I would consider uninstalling the palm desktop and reinstalling. It also gives you the oppritunity to check and see if you have the most up to date desktop.

Sorry not more helpful and good luck.

11. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Rkool, is this the same problem that seemed to be mysteriously solved on 05-31? As I asked you previously after merging two threads together, if the problem remains the same, please do not start another thread because it makes more work for everyone, is time-consuming & spreads out your available answers, making it all so much harder for everyone. Instead, just add to the established thread, and it moves to the top of the list again.

I am merging this thread into the existing thread for the sake of continuity.

12. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand Ray.

I'm confirming that you are now syncing without problems. Please respond yes if this is the case. If you are not able to sync, please paste your last Hotsync Log. Additional information is not needed.

13. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

The Hot Sync Icon is on in the task bar. Also I started to sync, about 5times, then, I opened Documents to Go and no more Sync, I tried eracing Doc's to go from both the computer and handheld.
    My last good hot Sync was on 5-8-06, and I have been going nuts since then
    Here is the Sync log

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/31/06 23:34:22

Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed

Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)
    OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    VersaMail - None of the accounts are configured for HotSync. Use the conduit to configure accounts to HotSync.
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    -- Backing up Investors.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Investors_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Saved Preferences to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/31/06 23:35:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/31/06 22:59:31

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    VersaMail - None of the accounts are configured for HotSync. Use the conduit to configure accounts to HotSync.
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    -- Backing up Saved Preferences to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/31/06 22:59:55

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/31/06 22:32:26

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    -- Backing up ISM1_Loan.pdb to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\ISM1_Loan_pdb.PDB
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/31/06 22:32:58

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/31/06 11:05:58

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    -- Backing up Bill Gatton-RNWK to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Bill_Gatton-RNWK.PDB
    -- Backing up Sheraton.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Sheraton_PDB.PDB
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/31/06 11:06:23

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/31/06 09:27:42

- Installed file: C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Install\Bill Gatton.pls.pdb
    OK Install

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    -- Backing up CurrentMap.dat to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB
    -- Backing up *EnThes to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\_EnThes.PDB
    -- Backing up ConnectionMgr50DB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
    -- Backing up NetworkDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\NetworkDB.PDB
    -- Backing up MMIDCache7 to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\MMIDCache7.PDB
    -- Backing up MultiMail Messages to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\MultiMail_Messages.PDB
    -- Backing up ISM1_Loan.pdb to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\ISM1_Loan_pdb.PDB
    -- Backing up FavoritesDB-Fave to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\FavoritesDB-Fave.PDB
    -- Backing up SlideshowFonts to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\SlideshowFonts.PDB
    -- Backing up Bill Gatton-RNWK to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Bill_Gatton-RNWK.PDB
    -- Backing up eReader Preferences to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\eReader_Preferences.PDB
    -- Backing up Helpful Travel Information.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Helpful_Travel_Information_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up att_moved1.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\att_moved1_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Sample - Travel Informatio.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Sample_-_Travel_Informatio_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Investors.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Investors_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up HIRING A CONTRACTOR.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\HIRING_A_CONTRACTOR_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up INEXPENSIVE REPAIRS WITH.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\INEXPENSIVE_REPAIRS_WITH_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Thank you for flying AirTr.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Thank_you_for_flying_AirTr_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up BlackJackDeluxe to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\BlackJackDeluxe.PRC
    -- Backing up loanpro to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\loanpro.PRC
    -- Backing up MMUpgrade to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\MMUpgrade.PRC
    -- Backing up Chess to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Chess.PRC
    -- Backing up Checkers to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Checkers.PRC
    -- Backing up Tetris to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Tetris.PRC
    -- Backing up SolFree-sW03 to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\SolFree-sW03.PRC
    -- Backing up SmsDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\SmsDB.PDB
    -- Backing up MoHiSp1Lib to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\MoHiSp1Lib.PRC
    -- Backing up ZLib to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\ZLib.PRC
    -- Backing up JpegCommonLib-jpgC to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\JpegCommonLib-jpgC.PRC
    -- Backing up psysLaunchDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\psysLaunchDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Graffiti ShortCuts to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts.PRC
    -- Backing up Queries to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Queries.PDB
    -- Backing up ChessGamesDB1x to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\ChessGamesDB1x.PDB
    -- The database for att_moved_PDB.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.
    -- The database for From_PDB.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.
    -- The database for Hi_Ray_PDB.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.
    -- The database for midwest-7C3E59B8_mac.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.
    -- The database for North_Carolina_Sheridan_PDB.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.
    -- The database for Sheraton_Charlotte_Airport_PDB.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.
    -- The database for You_are_receiving_this_ema1_PDB.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/31/06 09:28:41

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/08/06 00:12:55

OK Install TomTom Maps 1.66

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Adobe Reader
    OK Inbox To Go
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    OK Beyond Contacts
    -- Backing up MMIDCache7 to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\MMIDCache7.PDB
    -- Backing up psysLaunchDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\psysLaunchDB.PDB
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/08/06 00:13:33

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/07/06 23:50:43

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Adobe Reader
    OK Inbox To Go
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    OK Beyond Contacts
    -- Backing up CurrentMap.dat to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB
    -- Backing up midwest-7C3E59B8.mac to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\midwest-7C3E59B8_mac.PDB
    -- Backing up Graffiti ShortCuts to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Graffiti_ShortCuts.PRC
    -- Backing up Queries to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Queries.PDB
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/07/06 23:51:35

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/04/06 10:14:33

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Adobe Reader
    OK Inbox To Go
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    OK Beyond Contacts
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/04/06 10:15:25

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/02/06 20:48:33

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Adobe Reader
    OK Inbox To Go
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    OK Beyond Contacts
    -- Backing up Sheraton Charlotte Airport.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Sheraton_Charlotte_Airport_PDB.PDB
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/02/06 20:49:09

HotSync operation started for Rkool053 on 05/02/06 17:11:12

OK Expense
    OK Quick Install
    OK Adobe Reader
    OK Inbox To Go
    OK Note Pad
    OK Media
    OK Documents To Go
    OK Calendar
    OK Contacts
    OK Tasks
    OK Memos
    OK Beyond Contacts
    -- Backing up From.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\From_PDB.PDB
    -- Backing up Thank you for flying AirTr.PDB to C:\Program Files\palmOne\Rkool0\Backup\Thank_you_for_flying_AirTr_PDB.PDB
    OK Backup

HotSync operation completed on 05/02/06 17:12:11

14. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

The two issues I would focus on are syncing with Exchange Server and TomTom. As I use neither, the best I can recommend is using Advanced Search up top. Have you checked with your IT Department to see if they have changed anything?

15. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

What problem are we dealing with?

The error 10 can not start? or the Hotsync log message
    The error 10 could be result of issue with drive mode on he T5, and thought resolved in the earlier post on 5/31.

The other message appears to be a conduit pathway issue. Uncertain the application, but may require reinstallation to establish the corrcet link to your exchange service and correct folder structure.

To confirma nd isolate setting the conduit to DO NOTHING will confiirm if the issue or not. Otherwise it does appear that all other conduits are working properly.

In the earlier part of the thread, the device manager/hardware list error 10 could have been result of discooneting the device from USB without disabling the connection from XP. Since the T5 has a dual personality, Palm handheld and a flash drive via drive mode, the line item you refer to would indicate the drive mode is returning the error. As a Palm handheld it should not be detected until the hotsync aplication on the handheld is activated.

16. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

Hi
    I think it sounds like you guys have your finger on the trigger, but I am not sure how to do the things you suggest.
    How do I fix these 2 items ; Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.

I am no longer getting a Code 10, as a matter of fact, after I do a soft re-set and have the palm turned on, and plug it in, I get the connection bleep, and it shows up in the Device manager (with no error's) and I could use the Live Drive. When I go to Hot Sync, it bleeps out and drops out of the Device manager. And I have to do another soft re-set, turn it on and connect it.
    Thank you so very much for helping, Ray

17. BAB2000

OR :confused:

To examine the hotsync manager conduits, select the HS icon from the system tray, select Custom, make sure your handhel's user name is list in th ebox, and then view the listed conduits.

Is there any additional conduit or conduits not detailed in the Hotsync log? Selecting such a conduit and setting action to DO NOTHING will help you isolate.

Another thought is to inspect teh|palm\[truncated user name]\install and QuickInstall folders, make sure these are empty. Normally the INSTALL conduit is the first to function on hotsync and the attempt to install or create a database file is associate to contents in either of these folders.

The seconf question, are we discussing a Life Drive or T5 handheld?

If the T5 is in drive mode, I would suspect you will need to disable the feature before hotsync will work, (I do not have a T5, so guess at best), if Life Drive I suspect same would apply. A soft reset is accomplishing the same function, just long way to the correction.

18. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

Wow,
    I think you are really on the right track here, I re-named my user file and put it on my desktop, I also re-named the user on the Palm software load-up, when I clicked 'custom' on the HS icon, my old user name came up.
    I also called Palm today and they had me, unstall the software, Run "Regedit ", remove US Robotics and re-install the downloaded software 4.14 version from their web site. I still had the same problem, then the guy tells me to look in the device manager under "Universal Serial Buss Controllers for USB 2.0 Root Hub. When I said it was not there, he said that is the problem of why the Palm was not staying connected, this did not make any sense to me, seeing the Palm worked here before.
    I also tried it on my old computer, with the same results.
    I looked in the "Quick Install" and my new user name is there.
    Old user name in HS "custom" New user name in Quick Install.
    I made almost everything "Do Nothing" in the Custom box, but the same thing happens.
    I think we are close to solving this, Thank You

19. BAB2000

You sync'd to another platform and received same error message in the hot sync log?

That would indicate the problem is yet with your handheld. T5 or LD, you had not confirmed since your two post indicate different units.!!!:confused:

The Quick Installer and Custom both have user name boxes, the name displayed can be selected by utilizing the drop down arrow within the box!

Both user names available with the Palm desktop open?

If you uninstalled the Palm desktop and then reinstalled, is your Palm desktop information yet present? and complete?

Your next step would indicate a Hard Reset and start over, by performing a restore hotsync if the info is yet valid on the desktop, actually either desktop.

20. Rkool

Rkool Mobile Enthusiast

Hi
    I have a Palm T5. Something interesting has happened, the user names have become the same?? Last night they were different?? There are no other names avilable in the drop down boxes. I am doing another hard re-set now, pluged it in, it bleped in with the computer, hit the HS button, it bleped out and lost connection.
    The only things in the "custom" box, I have doing anything are ; Date Book , Address Book, and Contacts. Everything else I applied "Do Nothing" to.
    There is nothong in the Palm desk top, I applied a different user name on the re-install, and re-named my user file and placed it on my desk top.
    Could there be something wrong with the Palm unit, I have taken good care of it and it has lived it's life in a hard case.
    It might be easier to buy another Palm, but I may have this problem with the new unit.
    Thanks, Ray