Cannot hotsync Palm lllxe with USB to Serial Adaptor

Discussion in 'Palm' started by sega dude, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sega dude

sega dude Mobile Enthusiast

I bought a Serial to USB adapter from ebay (Item #140310582386) to be able to sync my new Palm lllxe with my USB only pc. I plug the serial cable into the Palm and plug the other end into the adapter. Then I plug the adaptor into the PC that has the drivers installed. The serial cable doesn't have a sync button so I use the hotsync app on my Palm to start a hotsync. The Palm Says "Connecting with the desktop using Cradle/Cable" After a minute or 2 it beeps and I get the error that says "The connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be established. Please check your setup and try again." Is the adaptor not working? I have set the correct com port in the Palm Desktop software. Any help would be great!

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Right-click on the hotsync icon and make sure the option for USB is selected. I'm going from memory, but I think that's right.

3. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

What is your operating system such as windows XP or other. What desktop version do you have installed on it also. Is this the first hotsync after installing software to your computer for this purpose or did you already have software previously installed for another palm device.

4. sega dude

I am using Windows Vista 32 bit with Palm Desktop 6.2.2. It is the first hotsync after installing the software. I used the PalmHotSyncSetup software from Pimlico software to setup syncing with legacy Palm devices.

5. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

If I recall correctly, you must select both USB and Serial comms for Hotsync and make certain the correct comm port is selected.

The hotsync manager runs in the back ground monitoring for the HS signal via all select paths possible.

The USB to serial adapter is utilizing the USB port to emulate a serial comms connection (5 or 6), depending on the software drivers supplied by the UASB - Serial adapter.

6. sega dude

Tried that. Still won't work.

7. BAB2000

Right click My Computer, then select Device s and check to make certain there is no issues. Regardless, select the adapter and deinstall.

Then reactivate.

Make certain the Hotsync Manager is closed. also, do so with your user having admin rights.

It is very possible the device activation and the presence of the Hot sync manager could have caused a conflict.

8. sega dude

It was the adapter I was trying to use. I bought this adapter from a local store and it works great. Had no problems with it.

9. BAB2000

Great, I was starting to panic, that I needed to search my old posts to find your answers as they did not pop forward as back in the early days, [whew]:rolleyes:

Yes, even then it was reported that not all USB-Serial adapters (drivers) were not created the same.

I hope this works out for you, and also read you selected a IIIxe from some ones suggestion. Good choice, as this unit is timeless as a simple PDA with 8 MB of memory, providing a great deal of function without the worry of the rechargable failing from EOL cycle.

Just keep it hotsync'd, yet the inbuilt back up cap should hold the memory a several seconds during the bi-monthly battery exchange.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I recall having problems now and again with my Palm branded adapter, but that was a long time ago. I'm sure glad it's working!

This thread has me thinking about pulling my IIIxe out of the Goodwill box in the garage. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.