Cannot connect my Tungsten E2 to my Panther Mac.

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by inkblot, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inkblot

inkblot Newbie

When I try to Hotsync my Tungsten E2 PDA with Palm OS 5.2.1 to my iMac G3 with Mac OS 10.3.9 via Bluetooth, I get an error that says "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application.". This happens even when I remove my USB Bluetooth device (a D-Link DBT-120), so it might be a problem with my Mac.

When I try to connect using the Bluetooth section in the Prefrences panel, I get "Error:Serial:Timeout. Could be bad cable or faulty Modem. (0x0305)".

How do I connect my PDA and Mac via Bluetooth? Since I do not have the USB cable, that is out of the question.

Note the following:

1. Both devices are discoverable.

2. Both devices detected each other, and I was able to go through the bluetooth wizard on my PDA successfully, along with my Mac's wizard.

3. I do not have Tiger, so I do not have the "Sharing" panel in the Bluetooth section of System Prefrences. Continously clicking the "Settings" and "Devices" panels does not work.

4. I have Palm Desktop, and bluetooth-pda-sync-port is ON. PalmConnect and USB are disabled (and I mean for hotsyncing, not that the USB port itself is disabled)

5. I do not have a Zire 71, nor am I running Mac OS 9, so please do not copy and paste from Palm's support section.

6. I cannot afford The Missing Sync.

7. I did delete the com.palm.* files on my computer.

8. I have no other Bluetooth devices.

9. The Bluetooth adaptor on my mac is a Class 2 device, just like my PDA.

Thank you.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, inkblot. :)

I am relocating your thread to the Sync/Mac area for more specialized help. :)

3. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

That's not necessarily a BT only error, as I've seen it with USB as well. For the life of me, though, I can't remember how I resolved it.

I'm actually not remembering too much about Panther's built-in BT capabilities. I know that it can handle BT devices, but you probably will have to install some kind of driver for the dongle. You also might be having some issue with USB 2 vs. USB 1.1. I've seen that issue with something as simple as a thumb drive.

That's all I can think of. I don't use BT and I'm getting stoked about upgrading to Leopard. Panther's a long way back for me.