Can Voice Dial Be Disabled?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I have a Verizon Centro (No freezing!) and I want to disable VoiceDial. It always activates when I accidently move or fiddle with my earphone jack and stops pTunes from playing music while it overrides pTunes. It seems like VoiceDial can be activated in this manner. Has anyone else experienced this? Can it be deactivated? I cannot find a way.

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Can't tell if it can be disabled in the Centro. Try HeadsetControl in order to establish a priority between VoiceDial and pTunes.

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I will give it a try, but I think that this is a hardware issue and not a software issue. VoiceDial opens over pTunes when the earphone jack wiggles in the earphone socket.

4. hal

That may happen because the connection points make some effect that the Centro is confusing with an order given by the user from the headset. Try using a different headset; this may happen even with the OEM headset, this is the one supplied with your device. Anyway, the device establishes a high priority for the VoiceDial; HeadsetControl allows to change such priority, even establishing a "do nothing" option.

5. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

That is exactly what I thought! I am using 2 different adapters for my head phones and both do the same thing. Unfortunately sometimes the adapters need a little tweek to get both channels working; or when I am on a plane as I was all day Friday (By the way my battery life was amazing- better than my Tx ever was!) and I get up or move and the jack moves due to seat belt etc. This is really just a minor nuisance.

Hal, on another note I played with HeadsetControl for about 15 minutes and I never got it to work right. It did stop pTunes when I disconnected my headset; and when I hold down the button, the volume is louder. When I release the button, the sound goes back to what it was. That is all it did for me. Do you use this app? Got any pointers or ideas? Thanks for the suggestion.

6. hal

Yes, I use HeadsetControl in my Treo 680. I am also kind of figuring the speed at which it understands what's a short press and a long press. Besides, it can establish a two priority order for two different commands or apps with each press option. I bet I gotta RTFM. In short, I established short press for redial and then VoiceDial, but you can play a lot with it using pTunes or AeroPlayer, that are the two players it gets along with. Kinda figure what's the order over volume to set it right. And there are a lot of combinations you can use it with, between apps and presses, short or long.

7. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Thanks for the tips. I will give it another go and see if I can get it to work right.

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

If you do not use any sort of voice dialing, use CleanStart, and disable your voice control app from getting startup notifications. Reset your device, end of problem. :)

9. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Thanks. I downloaded it and will give it a shot.

10. bookwurm70

bookwurm70 Mobile Consultant

Did cleanstart work for you? I'm having the same problem with my new Centro and want to get rid of Voice Dialing. I'd never use it, to embarrassing to be seen talking to my phone in public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.