Can someone explain SD vs. SDIO?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by mwyche, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwyche

mwyche Mobile Enthusiast

Can someone explain to me the difference between SD and SDIO. I'm looking at getting a PDA soon. I'm not quite sure of how important a feature this is.

I'm interested in getting a Toshiba Bluetooth SDIO card for the SD slot. Toshiba's specs say that this card is compatible with any PDA with an SD slot. Is this true? Or, are they referring to any PDA with an SDIO slot?

2. anonymous

anonymous Mobile Deity

SDIO means Secure Digital Input/Output, the protocol used for pheripherals like bluetooth cards.

As for the Toshiba Bluetooth card, I would assume that they mean any SD slot that supports SDIO. There are some older or cheaper SD implementations that don't support it, so you should check the specifications on the handheld you're looking at, and if possible double check with the manufacturer. I know the Toshiba BT card works with at least most of their devices, and I know that Palm has a branded version of the card that works in all their SD slot models (except the Tungsten T, which has integrated BT).

The Wraith

3. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

Wraith is right here, you must check when you buy a PDA that it supports SDIO which simply means using an Input/Output device such as a digital camera or wireless card that fits in the same slot as the SD Memory slot. Without SDIO compatibility you cannot use these add-ons that are becoming more prevalent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.