Can Nokia gets its magic back with Lumia 920?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by webbjames, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

This was true for WP7. We haven't seen mobile Office for WP8 unveiled yet, and my understanding is that, like most stuff in WP8, it should have a similar feel to WP7 but a lot more functionality.

2. Grant Hatchimonji

Grant Hatchimonji Brighthand Site Editor

I came back here to answer Hook's question about Outlook, but it looks like you've got it all taken care of, Mitlov. Thanks for providing all the info!

Mitlov likes this.
  3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'll agree with one thing: exposure to 'Metro' on the desktop might help. People are often 'forced' to use it at work, etc.; because Windows is so ubiquitous. If they end up liking it, it could help.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't think workplace exposure to Win 8 will play a factor in WP8's success or failure. Workplaces are so slow to adopt new OSes that it'll be too late. Hell, my office still primarily uses Windows XP...I'm one of the very few (probably less than 10%) who has Windows 7 on my desktop. I predict that Windows 8 will have absolutely minimal penetration into workplaces during its first twelve months--the twelve months when Nokia really needs to make massive gains with the Lumia 920 and 820.

I think the main cross-over exposure will be through consumer PCs and Xbox 360s. For people who buy laptops that cost less than $1000, Windows laptops are basically the only option. All of those $499 Pavilions and Inspirons that people are buying their high school kids to do homework on are going to have Metro-style start screens instead of the start menu. And for the large number of people who have Xbox 360s, either for gaming or for streaming media (it's a great way to get everything from Netflix to HBO Go on your TV), the same is true. That'll get people past the "hey, this doesn't look anything like the icons I'm used to" shock and into the phase where they can debate on the actual merits of the device whether they prefer the day-to-day experience of WP, Android, or iOS.

5. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Well, I didn't even mention the start menu, the look of the tiles interface and inane sideways swiping is enough to put me of it alone without going into any more detail and specifics, I know you like debating with people ad nauseam [NBRF win 8 thread] but you're flogging a dead horse with me.
    And no, I don't type in program names, the GRAPHICAL user interface was invented so that was unnecessary.I'm lazy, the less I have to move my hands with a PC and instead rely on moving a mouse a few mm, the happier I am.
    There's a whole bunch of other reasons why I don't like windows 8 and WP, but it's not worthwhile even discussing until they fix the fact that it's just incredibly fugly to begin with.

Your average non-techo[that you keep mentioning] doesn't give a hoot about specs, only the way something first presents and whether they can send messages, email surf the internet, I think you overestimate the understanding of the casual buyer with technical specifications and their relevance, the first iPhone is about the best example of the masses indifference to tech specs and capability and the importance of cool, branding, possibly ease of use and the removal of choice that will confuse them.We keep getting told WP has this in spades [I disagree] yet it's still gone nowhere in 2 years, the only thing left to blame is that people think it's unattractive to look at....I couldn't agree more :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

@weegie--

Android went nowhere for two years too. It exploded in year three. With WP8, Windows Phone is entering year three, and carriers are embracing WP8 in a way they never did with WP7...just look at Verizon (they only sold the HTC Trophy, a second-tier WP7 device, but now all three WP8 flagship devices are coming to Verizon).

If you think Windows Phone is ugly, good for you. You don't have to buy it. Surely, though, you don't think something as personal subjective as "it's fugly [in your opinion]" is enough to speak for international market trends? I think the E90 BMW 3-Series and the Galaxy S3 case design are both fugly, but they both seem to be doing just fine in the market. Especially considering how hard it is to find a review of the Lumia 900 and now the 920 that doesn't mention how the reviewer finds the case and the OS visually attractive...your opinion is not universal.

Though I'm not sure why I'm even responding to someone who already threw an ad hominem out (yes, I had a long mutual debate with Pirx and Hockeymass, both vigorous debaters and willing participants, on another forum, but thanks for the stalking)...

7. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I did actually say I won't buy it remember?
    Can't compare what Android has done, or Apple, time and market perception has moved on.....they of course had the advantage of not having a hideously ugly user interface hampering them.;-)
    My opinion isn't universal no, but logic and sales numbers would say it's a lot more universal than 'a reviewer and I think it's cool'

Haha...maybe because you can't help but feel you are the personal savior of windows phone and 8??
    Stalking?, for sure!, you're soo important, it wouldn't be because I've been a member there a lot longer than you and also posted in that particular thread before you as well, meaning I was getting email notifications at least until I got sick of reading your name and cancelled it, very hard to miss your name as it accounted for just about every second post reiterating windows 8's tile greatness while failing to acknowledge anyone's complaints or criticism as justified and instead arrogantly acting like they're ....just not as enlightened as you?

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm sorry you subscribed to a thread where Pirx and Hockeymass and I were having a lengthy (and mutual and consensual) debate, but that's not my fault. I didn't make you subscribe to the thread. Besides, this debate wasn't even on Brighthand and didn't involve Nokia...why are you taking me to task about it in this thread??

I don't appreciate all the personal attacks in your last paragraph.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

My point is still that that's where they'd most likely encounter it. Most people I know are even slower to adopt new Windows than corporations (with some exceptions obviously). Some don't bother until they get a new computer. [By the way, I'm using an XP machine right now, and my next one will likely be Apple.] So I still think more may encounter it outside the home, than inside. Either way, some exposure might help.

I can't agree that Android went 'nowhere' at first either. That's not close to how I remember it. There was huge interest in the G1. The one limitation was that it debuted on TMobile, which has/had the smallest footprint. Lots of people switched to try it at the time.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

[​IMG]

Cool chart: NPD shows the growth of Android and iOS | Digital Trends

Android had 2% of smartphone sales in 2008, 8% in 2009, and 42% in 2010. I'd call that an explosion in year three.

For comparison, Windows Phone was 2.5% of new phone shipments in Q2 2011 and 5.4% of new phone shipments in Q2 2012 (the most recent info I could find). source EDIT: Brighthand is editing the url and breaking it, taking out characters and adding asterisks. Regardless, those are the numbers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012