Can I use BUM to put data into 2nd T3?

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by Rubyrose, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,
    Today, I was trying to sync my T3 but I canceled the sync. After waiting for it to cancel I took it off the cradle. I tried to do a soft reset. After doing it the gray Palm screen came up but it won't do anything. I can't turn it off or get it to do anything. It is still turned on. I don't know if anyone has any ideas how to get it to work again?

My second question is: I bought another T3 on Ebay to keep as a backup for a situation just like this. I have never used it. I use BUM to backup my original T3. Can I take the SD card out of the old T3, put the same user name in the new one & use the BUM backup to put all my data into the new one?

Is there anything else I have to do beside putting the same user name into it? I guess I would I have to install BUM on the new one right?
    Anything else?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'm not sure what BUM stands for but if it is an SD card backup utility, you should be able to do just what you describe. You should be able to restore to a different (identical) device and have everything "just work". Of course the first hotsync will be rather lengthy as everything is marked "new" so I would make sure you've backed up all your stuff on Palm Desktop just in case there are any duplicates. Also don't run any backups of the new device over top of your old device data. Find a way to firewall it off somewhere in case you ever need it again.

3. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Rubyrose: Does everything include a hard reset. If not try this out. If it works all you need to do is use your backup software to restore it.

4. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,
    Well I have good news. After doing a hard reset & it went completely blank. I let it sit overnight & then I put it on the cradle to charge for a while tonight & for the heck of it I took it off the cradle & opened it & it was on! Halleluyah! It had no data in it so I used BUM & it put it all back. The guy that created that software is brilliant!

I had visions of hours of reading up on how to be able to get my data into the new T3. Thank God I don't have to do that!!

Thanks so much Jeff & Reb1 for your advice & willingness to try & help me. I am sooo grateful for all you Brighthanders!

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

What is BUM?

6. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Rubyrose: We are glad it is working again. If you are having lengthy hotsyncs with your device I would go into the hotsync conduits and disable backup. You already have backup software that actually works. The hotsync backup does not really backup your info properly. By doing this your hotsync operations will take much less time.

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm guessing it's Back Up Man, an SD-based backup utility for RAM-based devices.
    Yes, you can do this, you'd be effectively cloning the original T3. What's more, you don't need to put the same user name in the new one: BUM can do this by itself. The way I'd proceed is this: Backup the old T3 with BUM. Hard reset the new T3. Insert the SD card on the new T3. Run BUM, select restore. When it's done the new T3 will have all the info, programs, registration data, and the same hotsync name as the old one.

However, you should take some precautions to ensure that your info doesn't get messed up. I'd only use and hotsync the "main" T3 (whichever you choose to use as the primary device), and leave the other only as a backup unit (and never add info to it or hotysnc it). But keep in mind that since the T3 is a RAM-based device, you can't just clone the old T3 and then toss the new T3in the socks drawer. As soon as the battery runs down, all the info on the clone will be lost and you'll need to re-clone.