Can I use a SDHC card in my T3?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Rubyrose, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

I've been wanting to get a 4 G SD card to put books on my T3 but I'm having a hard time finding one. I saw on Ebay that someone was selling an SDHC card to use in a newer model Palm. So I thought maybe I could use a SDHC card in my T3.

Thanks in advance.

2. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Rubyrose: There is no SDHC support for the T3 and it will only write to a 1gig card but will read a 2 gig card natively.
    Palm Powerups has a free patch that will allow it to read and write up to a 4gig card as long as it is a SD only not a SDHC. I believe you will also need the free fat 32 patch to do this. Also with these patches trying to use a 4gig SD card will not work on all of them.
    http://www.palmpowerups.com/file/T3-bigCards.prc
    http://www.palmpowerups.com/file/FAT32-loader-final.prc

I will also research this subject a little and post back. Some of the palm powerups apps need to be installed in a certain way so have a little patience with this problem. I will attempt to give you the correct info on this and if anybody else has some info please feel free to fill in.

3. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I'm not too computer savvy so I'm grateful for any help so that I won't mess it up!

I finally got my new laptop-Windows 7. I'm just starting to figure it out so I'm not ready to put My T3 on it yet. but when I get it all up & running then I'll be ready to try the Palm Powerups programs & learn how to put books on
    my T3.

When you get the info that will be great....no hurry.

All the best,

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Both the prc files I listed will need to be copied to a memory card first. They will then need to be copied to the ram of your device from the memory card. The free program called filez will allow this. In addition to this program you will need to install udmh prior to installing the T3-bigCards prc into ram so the T3 will accept it. udmh will work in trial mode for 7 days so you do not need to purchase. If you do not intend to register it you want to uninstall it after using it to install the T3-bigCards program. I bet it is starting to sound complicated. Everything is complicated until you do it so just do it and be done with it.
    Here is a less complicated solution. Your T3 will allow the reading of pretty much all sd only 2gig and 4gig sd only cards without any modifications. This means if you place the correct kind of 2gig or 4gig memory card in your computer and drop your ebook files into it you can then put it back in the T3 and it should allow you to read them. I would first format the sd card on your palm than do a hotsync so the palm files load on it.
    I previously stated that I would help with getting you up and running on a Windows 7 computer once you purchased one. So what is the hold up here.
    Rubyrose we learn by doing so lets start doing. I need a little more info than just a Windows 7 computer here. So if you please, start-up your computer and click on the start icon at the bottom left or tap the third key from the left bottom that has the little whit flag on it. This opens up the start menu. Now you will see two columns the right column will have computer listed on it. Right click on computer and select properties. A window opens up and at the top it probably says Windows 7 Home Premium. Mine says Windows 7 Professional. Look down at system and let me know if it says 64-bit Operating system. Also installed memory ram 3gig, 4gig etc. This info will help me guide you as to what is the best course of action in using your T3 on your new computer.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Rubyrose, didn't you post about this a while back? I thought you'd found a few of those 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards? In any event, I thought the max was 2 GB for the T3 anyway.

6. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

The native max for the T3 is 1gig write. The native read is up to 4gig.

7. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi Guys,
    I could have sworn I answered this last night but I don't see it here. I can't imagine trying all those steps to be able to use an SD card to put books on my Palm. You were right Reb1 it was too complicated. The 2nd way is much more equal to my computer skills. I don't understand the computer jargon. Waaay over my head.

Last night I had a big Palm problem but thank God he solved it for me.

Yes, Varjak I did post about this before but I never had bought any SD cards that were bigger than 1G. I have since bought a 2G SD card. The manager at Staples told me they never made SD in 4 G.
    Have you guys ever bought a 4 G card?

Reb1 you said I could use a 2G & 4G SD card if they were the right kind. Is it a specific brand of SD card? or what is the right kind of card?

By the way Reb1 I did check my new comp. It is a 6G & 64 bit Home Premium Windows 7. I'm going to try & put some of the programs on it tonight that I have on my old Vista comp. Maybe in a few days I'll be ready to follow your directions to put my Palm on my new one. Wow won't that be awesome......... everything on one computer!

Thanks for all your help guys!

8. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Rubyrose: As long as the 2gig cards are SD only and not the newer SDHC any should work for the read only. Meaning you could not plug it into your T3 and move files around. According to what I read at 1src forums your device will read them. On the 4gig SD I have only seen a few that people had success with. I would load a book that is compatible with one of your T3 reader programs onto a 2gig card and see if it will allow you to read it on your palm. If you accomplish this and still can't read the book I will walk you through in detail how to accomplish loading the software you need to make it work. I have a few hundred books and around 80 mp3 songs on my TX 2gig card. I will also post back with a link to a 4gig card that is linked to a discussion about the T3-bigCards program if you like. They also stated when using a 4gig card on the T3 you need to format it on the T3 so it will work.

It is complicated for me because I do not have a T3 to play with so I can confirm and help you along. Because others have set this up over at 1src forums I believe it will work.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Ruby, yes they did release some 4 GB SD cards. Look at some of the older threads about it. After reading about it here, I picked up a few, very luckily, at a very cheap price. Right as we started talking about it here, the prices shot up. Mine are Transcends and work fine (other than giving odd capacity readings with FileZ).

reb1 is right. If books are your primary use for the card storage, 1 and 2 GB cards will hold an awful lot. Much more than if you wanted them primarily for uncompressed audio or video.

10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

For an idea, on my card I have around 200 ebooks in various formats, and they occupy just 90MB. And this includes the 37MB taken up by the CIA World Factbook!

A single 1GB SD card can hold thousands of books, probably much more than the average user can read in a lifetime.