Can I get my work emails without IT support?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by melmoe, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Although I admit that this is not necessarily a good idea, historically, when I have been given an e-mail account with frustrating, Draconian restrictions, I usually just refused to use that e-mail account.

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

You are very lucky to have worked in work environments that allowed that...some of us are not so lucky and have to just live with the restrictions given. :(

3. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Well, my decision wasn't exactly well-received... it was kind of a gray area.

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Yes, I agree it's not necessarily a good idea. But how many of us have had the same idea. At my current job, that for all practical case is an SME, my boss has implemented the lousiest of all email servers, so we the people do not use it. Tramped email, dropped replies, and so on, have convinced us that we make a mistake in taking an email account. Free web email and all its known security risks is much better for us, cause we get our messages.

Besides the rules, there are flexibility factors that allow some more. In my work, the size of the corporation allows the flexibility to drop the corporate email and use some other account. I have to have the company's email registered in my Treo, otherwise the Exchange server doesn't let me do anything when I'm mobile. But as of the rest, I would gladly kill it. And I better receive the work emails in HotMail.

My sister works for a credit company (the one with a Roman legionnaire in green). She can't check Facebook at work. There are IT monitors (meaning people) that overview the LAN traffic and determine if somebody is misbehaving. She can't even check her Yahoo! mail. OK, I think it's draconian and Orwell-esque, but if that's the way the banjo plays, one better dances with the accord. She can check her email and Facebook elsewhere without getting in trouble.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Hal, I think MOST companies these days (esp. larger ones as the one you describe) block the biggies: FB, Twitter, and I guess even Yahoo and Google Mail. (By the way, anyone think of the scene in the recent The Office episode where the corp. parent Sabre, blocks these sites at Dunder Mifflin Scranton?) Too funny.

Still, I imagine that most people will begin to avoid these restrictions by using their smartphones to do the same thing.

BTW Hal, I LOVE the Roman Legionnaire! 'He's' bailed me out of a few scrapes around the world. Great customer service too.

6. hal

Ayup, it charges big interest rate, but you can't tell he's not there for you when you need it. My sister, BTW, works in Costumer Service. Geez, they really spend big bucks in that subject; she has described me the size of the call centers and it seems they're huge and the reps are pretty well trained. It's a very important segment of the corporation. I've had to deal with lots of customer service of lots of companies and they ain't got a clue about what's the meaning of "solve a problem". The Legionnaire really does know. My sister had a pretty bad time when she got the job; she received what she though were the most weird requests on Earth. Now she knows it's business as usual there.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Well, I don't think I've made any strange requests. I actually have the 'original' style card and pay it in full each month. I've never gotten any of their other offerings, although I've upgraded the basic card. Their CS is the best. Everyone speaks English (or whatever language one is looking for, I assume), they're friendly and genuinely helpful.

I do know someone with a Centurion Card (more commonly known as the 'Black Card' and I guess it's a centurion and not a legionnaire. Hadn't really thought about that.) I would guess they get tremendous service and make some demanding requests.

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yep, I cracked up when the new Company Man told the Dunderheads that their new IT Guy was installing blocking software. Michael was aghast! :D

9. hal

In short, the weird and dumb and flamboyant requests are made by people with a lot of money, a lot of time to spend it, no priorities to follow and nothing to do in the meanwhile. Looking for a table at the trendy restaurant for Christmas Eve doesn't count. It counts if you're in NYC and want a table in Bangkok for the next evening :rolleyes:

Currently, that's pretty much the conflictive side of business for them. Their TV ads have offered so much that now people is kinda challenging all the urban myths at hand :D

That card can't be requested. You're in on an invite. 'Course I don't qualify :)D). They also call it the Black Card, indoors (the Black Card nickname and the invite are not urban myth, as lots of people think), while the commercial name has changed throughout the years.

10. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

That Centurion Card has an annual fee in the THOUSANDS. So I'm told: I'm lucky if they offer me the transparent card.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.