Can I get my work emails without IT support?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by melmoe, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melmoe

melmoe Mobile Consultant

I'm a teacher and my school's network/wireless is locked up tight. I would like to get my work email straight to my iPhone 3GS. IT won't set up my phone, and they got rid of the pop server. We get our email through Office Outlook Web Access: Connected to Microsoft Exchange. Is there a way that I could find the info I need to connect to our Exchange server/account without IT?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

while I suspect the answer is yes, particularly via OWA, I'd caution you against doing so without prior approval; many organizations would view such access a violation of any number of things to which you've agreed to, leaving you open to, at worst (?) being fired.

3. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Actually, I suspect no. OWA is a means to control access. In most such situaltions, they have closed the pipes to any other kind of access (as well as it being a violation of organizational IA). If you cannot get cooperation through the IT and admin staff, I would recommend your not persuing this.

Your only shot would be if OWA would allow Safari to connect. That I have no idea about-- I suspect it requires IE. (Our organization no longer allows even OWA. It's now locked down and encrypted BBs, so count your blessings. ;) )

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

As an IT administrator for a school district, I am suggesting you don't even try. Trying to circumvent the initial response you got, is most certainly a violation of the Acceptable Computer Use Policy you agreed to, in your employment contract.

IT Administrators can see all connections to the Exchange server. Thus, it wouldn't take long for your IT department to pinpoint you.

Your employment status could well be in question after that.

5. headcronie

However, using your web browser on your phone, could still be an option. IT departments are less leery of that, as when you close out the browser, your session ends.

Unlike using an email client, where your email is available as soon as you open the program.

Depending on your Exchange Server version, and possible customizations made by your district, you may, or may not be able to use a Safari type browser to access it. I know that ours allows various browsers, some of which work better than others.

6. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

If you can't get it on your device, think of it as labor-saving. :D

Seriously, it could be worse, they could issue you a Blackberry and expect you to answer e-mail all the time.

I understand it can be a frustration, but there is always a trade off between security and convenience.

7. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

You've already been warned so read at your own risk:

Open a yahoo or gmail account on your iPhone and then go into the settings in outlook and have all your email forwarded to your yahoo or gmail account. I have usde groupwise at work and under the tools menu I set up a rule to forward my mail. It actually worked best as delegate to instead of forward to. The only hitch is that if you respond from your iPhone it will probably go to their junk mail and for sure you will be caught.

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

I agree. Responding from an iPhone or iTouch, you must use the email address of the account you are using. If your email is forwarded to gmail and you reply, your from address will be your gmail account, not the school district email your readers are expecting. Apple is stubborn about this and won't allow you to aggregate emails to gmail and reply as whoever the original email was addressed to.

9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

If the IT dept is locked enough that they don't want you carrying your email on a mobile device, forwarding his email to a 3rd party probably isn't an option available in settings.

And even if it were, that's a fantastic way to get fired. Most likely the IT dept would see all the emails being forwarded within a day or two.

10. headcronie

It may be, that the IT department won't support specific operating systems in their network. For example, we only support Windows Mobile devices here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.