Calling All Travelers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VampiressRN, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

I got bit by the travel bug last year when I hooked up with some friends from work and went to New Zealand and Australia. Well I just wanted to start out with a funny story here and will share more later about that great trip.

My travel friends and I could not believe all the flies that live in Australia. It is not a dirty country, but everywhere you go there are flies. We got off the plane in Melbourne and it was rather warm and lots of flies. We thought it was just due to the weather, but everywhere we went there were more flies. My OZ friends laughed when we asked them about it and they said why do you think we have this Aussie Wave shooing the flies away from their face and of course we fell out over that. I stayed in Melbourne for a week with my OZ friends, but my other travel pals went up to Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef. When we all met up for an after travel party in the USA, I asked How was the fly situation in the north of Australia? They said it was worse and at one point they had to get these special net hats to wear. I was telling some friends the other day about those flies and said I wonder why there are so many flies in Australia? Someone quipped...It's an island and they can't get off the island. Too funny. Anyway, Australia was interesting, but New Zealand (North & South Island) was absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't mind living there, but everthing is very expensive. A can of green Beans is $4. Our group went for a drive by a huge lake and stopped for lunch at a cute side-walk cafe...$8 dollars for a beer and ya can't enjoy your pizza without ordering a second beer, so we each paid $16 for our two beers. Anyway, it was a fabulous experience to travel there. I would love to go to England too, but seems like the safety issues for travel there is not very good right now. My travel pals are heading off to Costa Rica next, but I am not real interested in going there, so will pass up that trip.

Next month some of my friends and I are driving down to Los Angeles to see the King Tut Exibition...I am really looking forward to that. I love ancient Egyptian things.

Where have you traveled...got any good stories?;)

2. T-Man

T-Man Mobile Deity

Glad you had fun :)

Me? Just a 9 hour drive to New York every year and a ten hour drive to N. Carolina in May :)

Timm

3. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

I don't do much in terms of international travel. Especially nowadays when you can't be sure of the political stability and security and you can't speak the language. I try to stick with North America since it's cheaper and there's lots of history and stuff to see.

Been to Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Sedona, Flagstaff, San Antonio, Chicago, Cincinnati, Newport KY, Covington KY, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Cape Canaveral, Clearwater FL, St. Petersburg FL, Charleston SC, Murtle Beach. Will be visiting Philadelphia and New York end of this week. And, of course, being Canadian, I've visited Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Banff, Toronto, Windsor. Might have missed a few places.

Flying long haul flights is not something that I like since I don't sleep very well on the plane and usually suffer on the way there and arriving at the destination.

4. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

I am not a world traveler either and you are so correct about the security. Airports used to be intreaguing to me, but not anymore. And the Chicago airport is an absolute nightmare...I hate that place.

I would really prefer to give my hard earned cash to the good ole USA, plus there are so many great places to visit, it seems a shame to go out of the country.

I bought a suitcase the size of Texas for that NZ/OZ trip...it even has a cool fold-out hamper on it. The art of packing is a skill I now have.

5. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

I guess you must mean the O'Hare. I'll be connecting there so I guess I'll see how bad it gets. Fingers crossed. I fly at least once a year to the USA but it seems to get worse each year. The lineups get longer and the TSA scrutinizes over more things. I almost missed my flights a few times because I was either stuck in security, or customs and literally ran to the gate, just making it seconds before they close the gate.

I'm going to make sure to get there much much earlier. It used to be so much better before.

6. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

As a child I got hauled around England, Wales and Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Germany and Morocco. As an adult I hauled myself around those again, plus Scotland, Italy, Egypt, Mexico, America, Hong Kong, Macau, Bermuda, Australia, Switzerland, Japan, UAE and others.

7. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I love to travel. I would even give up my beloved T3 for the right trip :eek: Great Story VampiressRN! I would love to visit Australia some day.

I have only left North America a few times: France, Mexico and Bonaire. I have visited a few places as a result of work: LA (x2) Arizona and Toronto as well as a few family vacations: San Fransico, Seattle, North/South Carolina and Tennessee. Of course, living on the east coast I take for granted my trips to NYC, Washington DC and of course living in/near Philly.

I would like to travel more and maybe I just need the right traveling friends (read: friends with money) ---- Streaky, I do not mention enough how you are my favorite BH member!!!

8. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

STALKER ALERT!! STALKER ALERT!!

9. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

I wouldn't worry too much, Streaky. When you find Minimalposter replying to your posts by writing them all out neatly on your front door with animal excrement... that's the time to worry. :)

10. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I would not use animal excrement and I thought the side walk drawings were done in a tasteful matter if I should say so myself.

Who would spurn a traveling companion with such talent?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.