Calendar/datebook entries wiped!

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Jim Hogg, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Hogg

Jim Hogg Mobile Evangelist

yesterday, I tried going back to check on some calendar history items. To my shock, it seems that all the items were wiped starting from about one month ago. The only thing that's left is the repeat items like people's birthdays that I had set to remind me every year.

I've been using DateBk6 rather than the Calendar app that came with my Tx if that is significant.

Any ideas why this happened? How to prevent recurrence? Most of all, any idea if I can recover my data somehow?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Is this just on your TX or the desktop too. I no longer have Palm Desktop installed, so I can't check, but there may be a setting in the conduit that purges older appointments on the device, but it shouldn't on the desktop.

Hopefully someone with Palm Desktop will come along and dig up more info.

3. Jim Hogg

Jim Hogg Mobile Evangelist

My desktop vs was the first thing I checked. Unfortunately the calendar entries were wiped there too.

Jim

4. kdrude

kdrude Mobile Evangelist

If you use a backup program on your TX you can restore your calendar data base back to the last restore that you did. If you are using NVBackup it allows a slective restore of files.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Sorry you lost your data.

You should use NVBackup on your TX to backup your device's apps, data, and settings to an external memory card. You should copy your external memory card to your PC as a backup. You should also regularly run backup software on your PC.

6. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Palm Desktop - Purge & Archive are a manual operation, you have to do it. Goes for all Palm software, including DateBk6.

Outlook - AutoArchives (and deletes), default is set to 6 months at install.

7. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Outlook default is always to ask and offer to turn off. Also, I believe it doesn't delete but rather moves them to a backup.pst file. Can't be absolutely sure of the latter, since I always turn it off, but I think somewhere back in 2002 I didn't turn off and that is what happened.

8. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Correct,
    It will auto-archive then deletes what it archived and the default is at 6 month intervals on 2003 and later ask before they AutoArchive, but some people never read what pops up and interrupts them, they just click the OK to get rid of it. The version of Outlook that came with Win98 did not ask me before it deleted a bunch of old stuff.

Hard to tell which conduits the OP installed. When you install Palm Desktop 4.1.4E, it asks you if you want to sync with Palm desktop only or with both Palm desktop and Outlook. Some think that means all PIM info will sync to both Palm desktop and Outlook and are surprised when no PIM info is sync with Palm desktop.

Just grasping at straws because -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.