Calendar and Contacts stopped syncing on Centro

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

First let me apologize for being a dinosaur. I still sync my Centro almost daily (Palm Desktop 4.2.2) with my MacBook (OS 10.4.11). I know that there is a group, syncers anonymous, for folks like me, but I have not found it. Now that I have confessed I will describe my problem.

When I sync, I get the following message:
    - The Contacts conduit could not find a Contacts database file on the handheld. Please launch the Contacts application on the handheld, then perform another HotSync operation.
    Contacts did nothing
    - The Calendar conduit could not find a Calendar database file on the handheld. Please launch the Calendar application on the handheld, then perform another HotSync operation.
    Calendar did nothing

First all of my other conduits are syncing (ToDo, Memos, Movies, DocsToGo, Splash [Photo, Money, & ID], and FileMaker Mobile). I have not installed any new software on my Centro in weeks. I have not only launched but I have also created new entries in both contacts and calendar. I tried a soft reset as well. I do use NV Backup and I have multiple backups but I am reluctant to hard reset for obvious reasons. Any thoughts?

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Don't apologize. I sync my Nokia to my desktop and make no apologies. ;)

Try these three things:

Do a partial restore from NVBackup of just the PIM databases, preferably from before this started if you know when it started. Ten try and hotsync.

If that doesn't work, download dbfixit from Pimlico Software. Run it. If it finds errors, you will have to pay for the app to fix the errors.

If neither works, I would go the hard reset and restore route. Restoring the databases might not have solved the problem if something else was wonky on the centro.

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

surfdog, that very issue just happened to me on my Treo 680. After some four hotsync attempts, the Contacts DB on the Palm wasn't found. I've had several issues and it was time for a cleanup anyway, so I got prepared to do a hard reset.

On the fifth attempt, the Contacts DB on the Palm was now found, but I'm not gonna gamble on this one, cause it can leave me on my own in the middle of a working day. I did a hard reset and restored the whole address book from the computer. Lost a couple of newer entries, though, but nothing that cannot be solved. As Hook says, that was a DB issue, and maybe DbFixIt may have done the job, but I chose the hard reset way cause this has not been the first issue, it was time to redo the house.

Good evening, my name is hal and I still hotsync to my computer. <Awe in the public, next some wide eyes around. "Hello, hal".> It all started several years ago when I got a Zire 21... :p

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Personally, I wouldn't try to fix this. Hard reset, rename the hotsync backup folder, hotsync to restore your PIMs, then reinstall your apps. It's a fair amount of work, but spring cleaning is a good thing. :newpalm:

Whichever route you choose, make backups along the way. Good luck! :)

5. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I know it is time to do a spring cleaning but I have so many apps that it takes the better part of a week so I think that will be a last resort. I am going Hook's way for a possible quick fix and will see what happens.

6. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I did a selective restore in NV Backup of everything with address, calendar, and contacts and it did not work so now I am going to try dbfixit.

7. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Dbfixit did not work. Time for a hard reset and a restore when everything worked.

8. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Final Post:
    I did a hard reset and went back 3 days (before problem) and contacts and calendar synced perfectly. Problem solved.

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I would try and plan a Spring Cleaning in your future. The fact that it wasn't db corruption suggests that there could be still something lying in wait to do it again. Make sure you don't let the NVBackup that worked get overwritten. Take it out of the nightly cycle. :)

RickAgresta likes this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Now would be a good time to reconsider your daily hotsync habit. Ask yourself what you hotsync and why. I'm not against hotsyncing, mind you: I'm in favor of thoughtful, purposeful hotsyncing. :D

I got into the daily hotsync habit back with my Palm IIIxe. Daily hotsyncs were necessary to keep PIMs from my computer synced with my handheld, as well as update AvantGo and perhaps <shudder> Docs2Go. Later, with the Palm TX, daily hotsyncs kept other data synchronized, too.

I got out of the daily hotsync habit a little at a time. First, my company decided that hotsyncing was a security risk. They didn't want company emails and other information on portable devices, so they cut us off. I fought back and created workarounds at first, but eventually decided it wasn't worth risking my job over it. Hotsyncing had also become a bit time consuming, so I started closing conduits that I deemed unimportant or even troublesome.

Eventually, I got the Palm Treo 755p with internet access. At this point, I no longer needed daily hotsyncs for anything available on the internet, so the only conduits still open were my PIMs. Well, my PIMs are 100% maintained on my device. I NEVER update addresses, calendar entries, tasks, or memos on my desktop PC. So, for me, the only reason to hotsync, was to keep my PC up-to-date -- not my pda. With NVBackup, I never worry about losing information. I hotsync about 4 times a year to update my PC with contacts, and that's about it.

YMMV :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.