Business model for free apps eg. UniqTec Tasks&Notes for MS Exchange

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by GoodPDAuser, Jan 18, 2015.

1. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

I'm preparing to take the plunge and clobber the Carrier's Android with CyanogenMod, install AkrutoSync to sync with Outlook on my laptop, and UniqTec's Tasks & Notes for MS Exchange (TNMSE) for its notes (which Android lacks a native app for: http://www.akruto.com/synchronize-outlook-apps). I noticed that TNMSE is free, as is a collection of apps from UniqTec. I tried to find out more about UniqTec so that I could understand the business model, and form an idea of how its evolution & support might unfold in the future. After all, I'm going to develop what I hope is a long term dependency on their app for how I organize and run my life. I've already emailed the contact provided, but I was wondering if anyone can contribute what they know/think?

P.S. It's kind of ironic when you think about it. Here I am, playing the part of an old fogey (in the eyes of the current generation) who doesn't want to put his info on the cloud. Yet I'm perfectly willing to install multiple apps from companies that I don't know, not all even on domestic soil, to avoid cloud of big players.

P.P.S. From what I've been able to find on business models for freeware, it's not all that encouraging. The revenue is either from your data or from ads. This makes what I thought was a bonus (free) a disadvantage. I suppose I will have to weight that in when comparing the paid versus free alternative to what resides on the Moto G that will sync with Outlook.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

The business model is usually ads. Most freeware has ads these days. Another method is giving a limited-capability version for free, and charging for upgrading to a full-featured version. Often both. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. TANSTAAFL. The only truly free software I know of is Linux and most of its software. Google has become one of the largest and most successful companies in the world through freeware, by selling information and ads. It's not necessarily a failed business model.

3. GoodPDAuser

GoodPDAuser Mobile Deity

Don't forget cygwin. Lifesaver.

As for ads or limited capability, I'll have to take a closer look at TNMSE...thanks.