BT headset charging issue

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Sep 19, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The TV is working again! Desoldering was far more difficult than I expected. I finally added a small bead of fresh solder to concentrate the heat and melt the factory solder on the board. I replaced one 470uf 25V and two 680uf 25V capacitors. I confess my work is ugly, but I'm happy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yeah, forgot to tell you, it's much easier to desolder if you use a desoldering suction tool:
    Solder-Sucker-Desoldering-Pump-Tool-Removal-Vacuum-Soldering-Iron-Desolder.jpg_640x640.jpg

It will do just what the name suggests: suck the molten solder away. It's good practice to add some fresh solder as you did, because solder often includes flux, and this helps melting the old solder. Then the tool will remove all and leave the component and hole clean and ready.

Congratulations with your fix, jig. Maybe you're ready to try soldering on the headset :)

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

I used de-solder wick. The problem I encountered was melting the solder on the board. Even setting the my solder iron at 895F, it wouldn't melt the old solder because the heat dissipated so quickly. As I hunted for my long-missing butane torch, I called my brother and he suggested melting fresh solder onto the board. The fresh hot solder would help hold the heat and melt the old solder. That trick worked pretty well and I was able to wick everything away. Unfortunately, it looked like my prior attempt started to de-laminate (or at least scorch) one small part, but once reassembled, everything works. It's a bit ugly, but oh well. :)

scjjtt likes this.
  4. jigwashere

I soldered the new battery directly to the board and having it charge before I reassemble it. I want to make sure it's working. Reassembly will be a bit challenging. I think it was partly held together with 3 long, thin plastic "stubs" that were welded in place and were broken when I took it apart. I'll probably have to use a little spot glue on the seams instead.

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Fingers crossed. :vbsmile: Mine, not yours. :vbwink:

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Streaky says he's glad he could help <G>

7. jigwashere

With all the jostling around, a wire to the earpiece broke off. I simply resoldered it and reassembled the unit. I did have to spot glue the broken stubs. I tried to use very little glue with the idea that I'd have to open it up again some day, and it seems to be holding for now. Anyway, I'm happily using the headset! :)

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

Hmmmm.... Now that I think about it, maybe I should have used hot glue instead of super glue. Oh, well.

9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

So, what's the prognosis? Yay or nay on getting the new headset? :D

Seriously now, how's the new battery's endurance? Did you run it down yet?

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. jigwashere

The super glue didn't hold, so I'll try the hot glue. I used the headset for over an hour yesterday, and it's reporting that nearly 13 hours remain. I think it'll be a day or two before I can report on how well the batter is doing. So far, so good, though!

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.