Browser infiltrators - help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Streaky, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Same mistake made here :eek:

Streaks, about that ALT-S thingy when using FireFox, checkout AutoHotkey.
    You can define your own hotkeys and specify what that combo is to within different programs. (I have a couple of handy ones to automate spammer-slaying :cool: )
    Another option is to use an add-on to FireFox (keyconfig comes to mind), this would allow you to remap some predefined key combinations.

Avast is decent enough. I have it on 2 PCs at home already for years and none of them are infected (yet).

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I got Konrad back down to the right number. ;)

3. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Wow! With all due respect to all other posters on here, Konrad has just taken pole position. I shall follow through all of the above (I even paid for some of those programs - doh! - time to check my credit card receipts) and keep y'all posted.

Buy the way, I'm glad this thread is helping others. I know it's really off-topic for Off-Topic but I trust your guys - who knows what those hooligans on NoteBook Review would advise me to do!

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Well, I began with the F-Secure Online Virus Scanner, and now my PC is dead. Can't boot.

F-Secure found something like 33 items to remove. I selected the button to remove them, then finish. It chugged and groaned for a bit, then froze. And didn't unfreeze. I ate breakfast, and it was still frozen. So I powered down. And that was the end.

I'm sad.

5. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

Were you able to power back up and reboot successfully?

What sort of things did F-Secure find? If you actually use Firefox as your default browser, I'm a little surprised at your problems. Running Firefox and not using IE for anything save occasional visits to the Windows Update site for patches is my first line of defense against exploits.

Of course, even FF won't save you form yourself: it's still possible to choose to DL and install something nasty. I'm pretty fussy about what I download, with strong preference for open source efforts, and even fussier about where I get things, so I've never had a problem.
    ______
    Dennis

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

When my kids were of that age, I got them their own PC and isolated it on it's own subnet.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm unable to boot. I get some black screen with an error saying there's no bootable disk. I don't recall the details and had to leave for work.

I didn't see the "report" button and clicked "finish" before everything froze. It just said something about "33 spyware". Not very descriptive.

Anyway, I don't have a very good, complete backup at this point. I think most of my critical data is backed up. The bad thing is that this is a Gateway PC. Gateway doesn't provide install disks. Instead, they build an image of the original setup on a hidden partition. I neglected to back that up, too.

I'm still not overly concerned, just mad at myself more than anything. I'm guessing I'll be able to boot from another drive and recover the data from the disk. If I do have to go that route (suggestions are welcome), the good news is I'll get to do some spring cleaning, organizing, and perhaps I'll be better prepared.

Shucks. :(

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Streaky-deaky. ;)

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Sounds like the bootsector has gone bezerk :rolleyes:
    You could try to recover using some tool like GPartEd (Linux based, freeware).

10. Scoobie10

Scoobie10 Cowboy in the Jungle

Whoa....kudos to Konrad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.