Brighthand's New Design Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I noticed that after the fact, when perusing a other threads/posts/reviews. I still think the ToC ought to be solidly in the body of the article at the top.

I wondered what was going on, because BH had been balky for a week or so, and I guess you guys were running the two versions side-by-side. The 'search' function and 'posting' function are still a bit slower than they had been though.

In re QF's comments about full articles in the forums; that's a pet peeve of mine (although I don't have the at work problem). How particular is Google? Could you just change the header of the article or something so that it was different enough to not count as double posting? I hate having to go through the couple of extra screens to get to the article, when it could be right there. Plus, I still get the 'black screen' sometimes, when accessing an article, which requires a screen refresh. Normally, I'd blame my computer, but I don't have this issue on any other website I visit. Sometimes the article pops up a new tab, sometimes it doesn't. The inconsistency can be annoying.

Still, you guys do good work.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

unrelated to other comments, but probably related to the new design: currently can't read articles, such as about the t-mobile G2. I keep getting the message that "an internal error has occured"

3. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

oops, that's fixed!

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Excellent outcome, people! AAMOF, I notice it's got the renewed feel I've seen in other boards. For most of it, it works fine, with minor differences across the previous stage. The single feature I find notably different is the display in the User CP. BTW, I didn't even lose any of my PM's, for the case that coulda been an expected issue. I've only logged in using Firefox v.3.6.8, but I will eventually try with other browsers. And I really like that marquee with the highlights of several articles.

Andrew, Ed, the_rest_of_the_Brighthand_staff, would you accept a suggestion? More videos. I know it's a hoard of work on each, but they really attract people. Either that or, still with videos, how about placing them scattered on the Main Page? I mean, not just one video, but several. FWIW, several friends of mine already visit Brighthand for the reviews. A buncha videos would pull even more attention. As I (or me + pals) don't reside in the US, the prices are just a reference, but the reviews are useful anywhere.

¡Salud! :D

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

As much as I like ya Hal, I have to disagree. Unless the videos are well-produced (the majority I see on the 'net are NOT), I'd rather read about it. I know video is more popular than ever; but as far as information conveyance goes, sometimes pictures are NOT worth a thousand words.

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Just a personal opinion...

It would be more advantaegous for us to have/do more reviews if mobiles were different (that is, if there was a significant difference to the user experience of mobile devices aside from screens, processor speeds and prices). If we were highlighting more than just an "unboxing" or a "badly edited review that's repeated in the text below," such as what appears at other sites. Videos for instances such as when we are at conferences and need to note a first or "shiny" impression of a device fits the bill as quality video content. Just having video for the sake of it, blah. It's done everywhere like that.

There's also the issue of recording software, sharing content, etc. to which policies and governance will differ across the TT sites. Not impossible, but for many of the writers, who are contracted/freelance, that's a lot of oversight for TT which doesn't merit the best of returns in most cases.

7. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

In contradiction to my own post, Varjak, I agree with you. But remember that you and me don't argue with the extensive presence of text. Lots of people do. Producing a neat little video doesn't have to involve Francis Ford Coppola, but yet I agree it really takes some careful job. And the general population is more visual, less text oriented. It's more likely that an incidental visitor turns regular if he can find videos around. Antoine elaborated in excellent guidelines here, I'd just like to add that it'd be a good thing to create something like a set of homebrew tests, out of complex technical measurements, like say walking with the device's video camera on, kinda the silly personal X-Wing video in YouTube, or testing the camera in different light conditions, or trying to follow a conference jotting notes on it and consciously avoiding the use of a paper pad, and so on. Just thoughts. I mean, there is ENOUGH expertise here as to develop a little set of "challenges", like try to use the PIM apps, or take notes, etc. I agree that these reviews necessarily have to include the device's basic features, otherwise any visitor will end up looking for them elsewhere, but it'd be good to enforce the hands-on side of the review. That for one I do notice are already incorporated in the videos, but how about creating a trademark set of tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.