Brighthand's New Design Takes Flight

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

As Tim Scannell, TechnologyGuide's Editorial Director says:

Brighthand has a brand new look and feel! The new design is highly navigable and makes is easy to make the right call in terms of the selecting a smartphone that is the right fit for you and your applications needs.​

There might be some small issues during the chang-over (as I write this, the wrong logo is on the Forums page), but we're working through them.

If you find anything else that need fixing, please let us know.

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

3. Ed Hardy

If you have the logo for DigitalCameraReview at the top of this page, please scroll to the bottom of this page and you'll see a drop-down box with "Brighthand New" and "Brighthand Old".

Please make sure you have Brighthand New selected.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

-

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

FYI, it doesn't appear to be working well under IE 6. Not that IE 6 is a priority for anyone, but for those of us stuck on it for work it's disappointing. :(

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

There are two threads on this topic (one int the "Headline News" section). I know this is on purpose; but it divides the comments.

The new look definitely looks better; but functionally, It's a bit annoying so far. I find that there are so many areas on a page that deploy 'pop-up boxes' I find the screen to be almost like a minefield, slowing down navigation.

I also agree with SpyhunterB. A copy-editor/proof-reader is essential.

And a few things on reviews. There were a bunch of new threads directed toward reviews, but they were all closed to comments, so I thought I'd add it here.

Some of the new reviews had the 'pros and cons' at the top. I like that. However, I do miss the old format's practice of putting what amounted to a 'table of contents' at the top as well. Just having page ahead links at the bottom of each page is also insufficient IMO. And finally, I'll put in a plug again for a 'specs box' somewhere in the review, preferably near the top. I hate having to re-scan a review to find the screen size, battery capacity, memory capacity, camera specs, etc. There should be a standard specs box for all similar devices, much like Wikipedia offers.

As for formatting within the browser, it seems to work fine with Firefox 3.6.x.

Good luck with the changes.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

It definitely works better on Firefox. Unfortunately, since BH also doesn't post full articles in the forums anymore, it looks like I won't be reading BH from work anytime soon, since the full articles weren't appearing at all under IE6.

Boo...

7. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

All good feedback, just a note on this one, the TOC is in the left column at the top now such as in this review:

Samsung Vibrant Review

8. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

I like it so far. I was about to ask about the Digital Camera Review logo, but that's cleared up.
    The post editing box (the one I'm typing in as I post this) is flowing off the edge of the page to the right in Chrome 5.0.375.126:
    [​IMG]

I liked the little menu on the New Posts link. Also, is the new link limited to 20 posts, or do I only have 20 posts new to me to display? EDIT: It's not BH that renders it as one link with no menu, it's Chrome.

Attached Files:

9. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

The review toc blends into the rest of the sidebar too easily. Perhaps add the lighter variant of (any) the site's branding colors as a background color too differentiate.

On a similar note, it draws the eye that the jpg images for devices in the sidebar don't match the background color of that sidebar. The grey is great, but probably should have went a good bit lighter since images all have that white background.

Edit: question, any reason why the review outline wasn't just nested into the main device TOC? I understand that the logic would have been a trip, but it would have made for a cleaner side menu.

10. Ed Hardy

A note for those who read Brighthand on your smartphone: on the home page, the frame within the page showing the full list of recent articles doesn't work on many mobile devices. It displays the first few, but doesn't let you scroll down.

If you come to Brighthand mostly for the news, I'd recommend bookmarking this page instead:

http://www.brighthand.com/news/

-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.