Brighthand Staff's Predictions for the Palm Hawk

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ballistic

ballistic Mobile Deity

2. CeterumCenseo

CeterumCenseo Mobile Deity

What I would immediately dislike about this solution is, that it pretty much sounds like a "tail wags dog" concept to me. Interesting to see though, which one has got the WiFi.

If on the other hand the Foleo were the primary device that would only use a separate, dedicated phone - primarily meant for voice communication, which for ergonomic reasons will never be a PDA/laptop domain - for carrier-based communication, then this combo would indeed make a lot of sense. An advanced version of a PDA communicating via bluetooth over a cellphone, so to say, where no WiFi is available.

greetings
    Gerald

3. ballistic

ballistic Mobile Deity

I think people are missing the big picture.

When all is said and done, I believe that this combo, a small smartphone, and a larger clamshell(?)/tablet device with a full size keyboard with a larger screen is the future of mobile computing and will become your primary computing device(s). Combined with Palm's web services, this is Palm's foot in the door start to chipping away at the PC paradigm. Computing is going mobile and ubiquitous, you are not longer tied down to a desktop operating system or a single machine sitting somewhere on a desk.

With this combo you can replace a laptop on the road. There's a lot to be said for instant on, long battery life, and ultra-portability. With the right web services (including secure access to MyPalm.com through any web browser, something I think will replace Palm Desktop) all of your data and computing needs will be wherever you are.

Brian

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Might work. Would be better than lugging a laptop around in your luggage. Hope it works with any smartphone, not just Treos.

5. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I just don't like the "smartphone companion" tagline. If this "Foleo" could act as a standalone device with Wi-Fi and BT ..... and is capable (optionally) with pairing with a smartphone, then this is the way to go. Indeed it could replace the need to lug around a laptop.

I just wish it was available now as I have to go to Europe in July and would rather carry something lighter than my 7lb laptop.

6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

We have our first real look at the Hawk, now known as the Folio, so I'm shutting this thread down. Please post any further opinions here:

An Advanced Look at the Palm Folio AKA the "Hawk"
    www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13058

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.