Brighthand Staff's Predictions for the Palm Hawk

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobie10

Scoobie10 Cowboy in the Jungle

It's my guess that we see both devices in Q4 this year.

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I'll just encourage everyone to relax about this a little bit. Yes, it could be huge, but at the same time it might easily be disappointing compared to all the hype. Better to aim low and be pleasantly surprised.

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

Well it's less than 24 hours to the big announcement and I must break my silence...

The Hawk will feature:

1 - OLED display

2 - keyboard

3 - wifi

4 - bluetooth

5 - fabric softener dispenser

6 - permanent press cycle

7 - vibrating massage

8 - water saver

9 - turbo setting

10 - Three Laws Safe (r)

11 - 3d holographic projection
    (think "Obi wan, you're my only hope")

12 - communication by chirping noises

13 - able to repair damages on the outside of spacecraft without risk to crew

It will be called the Hawk R2 Unit with Optional Spin Dry :D

4. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Vibrating massage?! :eek: I'm ALL OVER this thing when it's released! :p I need a massage. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

<mp thinks of offering OHD a hand but realizes this is the HN forum ;)

I am betting against the OLED screen and massage option as well as hoping against such a large price tag, but I do think the Hawk will be feature rich! And I also hope we can keep calling it the Hawk :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. T.P. Reitzel

T.P. Reitzel Mobile Evangelist

The first manufacturer that "perfects" tracking of the eyes for directional movement of the cursor, and voice input for selection will win BIG in my opinion. The ability of a device to track the user's gaze and respond to voice input will be a huge and effective advance. For example, for someone to enter a building, they must walk there first (directional movement), then physically open the door by using the hands which in our case will be replaced by simiple voice commands, e.g. open, select, print, close, louder, softer, etc.

"So, why was I listening to this lecture? It was not purely to learn about Hierarchical Temporal Management, which I found absolutely fascinating, but to get a handle on what's next at Palm. After hearing about Numenta, I am convinced that the project coming out in November is not what everyone has been writing about. Numenta is not a machine, but a thought process which attempts to emulate the brains' thought processes through non-static, mobile "guesswork" that dwarfs our thinking about events. It is preemptive. It is akin to thinking about a sequence of numbers and colors before they have been produced. It is akin to knowing the difference in texture between velvet and carpet. Some of the guess work appears to involve appointing memories of other objects and things and interpolating them to come up with what you are holding in your hands. A real life example would be putting out your hand and having someone tell you that you are about to feel a cup filled with hot cocoa. You already have a preconceived notion about the scent of hot cocoa, the ceramic feel of a cup, the warmth involved and the visualization of the cup, such that when it is placed in your hand you can translate it to mean: Warm cup of Cocoa in hand. All of these things are involved in making that decision. Numenta appears to be about trying to emulate these thought processes to come to these conclusions.

One can see quite readily that this has the potential for a lot of DoD type stuff: Face recognition, object identification etc. Mr. Hawkins has stated that the early project will involve food/recipe recognition to start with. There appears to be some semblance of software out on the website to experiment with Numenta for now." http://www.lifedrivedoc.com

:)

7. CeterumCenseo

CeterumCenseo Mobile Deity

Again, You're "my man" at BH, A! It's always good to see a voice of reason out there.

greetings
    Gerald

8. newtonjack

newtonjack Mobile Enthusiast

9. CeterumCenseo

CeterumCenseo Mobile Deity

10. newtonjack

newtonjack Mobile Enthusiast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.