Brighthand Staff's Predictions for the Palm Hawk

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidbec

davidbec Mobile Deity

They better come good. A lot of people are looking towards this announcement as the big bomb to replace their confidence in Palm Inc. I hope for their sakes they don't dissappoint.

If they do release something and it even smells like something old. Not to mention if it runs Garnet.

They're dead!!

2. davidbec

davidbec Mobile Deity

I hope it's something like the N800 but with lots of working software for PDA type users.

3. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I refuse to believe that something like this could happen. I remember back to the days when the T5 was released.... everyone was absolutely sure that it would run Palm OS Cobalt... yet... that was a couple of years ago...

I think Palm has its back up against the wall. With the iPhone on the horizon and the Blackberry getting much more sophisticated, it has little choice but to innovate or die.

I'm sure that the Hawk will provide die-hard Palm users with the technology and OS needed to lead in the market again. The term "Palm" and "Palm Pilot" is still used in reference PDA's (Palm or not...)... Palm must capitalise on this and break back into the market as I'm sure it will.

4. wing_gundam

wing_gundam Mobile Deity

While brand recognition is a key aspect of a successful business strategy as Matt points out, Palm though has to (a) live up to that expectation/hype; and (b) hope that it has not wavered. IMO, the newer smartphone products just haven't lived up to the innovation that I had hoped for. I recently purchased a Blackberry Pearl to try a new route. I'm very impressed with the simplicity and thus profoundness in the Pearl. Something as simple as the built in map program speaks volumes. Now while, such a program could be argued that it may or may not fail in comparison to other PIM programs or NAVI tools, I just happen to like it. But not to get too far out of scope....

I think success factors to a new hand-held/mobile personal computer would also relate to ease of use, the more obvious adaptability (in terms of network coverage, included technology), and style/awe. It's got to be a device that people would have a willingness to buy. The original Palm pilot thus captured a good sales mix and gained cult status. While that might not be an objective for the "Hawk" I'd certainly like to see it considered.

I agree that a smaller-than-UMPC-clamshell would work. I have a few colleges who use either Sony or Fujitsu's 9 inch screen notebooks, and they seem quite versatile. I think a critical success factor on this "hawk" would be more than wifi (although extremely important and assumed already included) is a usb connection or two. And not just a mini slot designed for data sync purposes; because if this is going to be a self sustaining device, than it should be able to support usb pens, mice, and other periphery. Forget wireless printing, BT connectivity. If this is going to replace a laptop, than you won't be making calls out it on your car's BT system (Maybe it will be able to do so, but I don't think it should be a driving factor [no pun intended]).

Well I'm done :D Can't wait to hear the news next week!

5. wing_gundam

wing_gundam Mobile Deity

In addition, I'd like to see it follow Sony's example in laptops. I've been extremely happy with my older A150 and now my SZ220P. I can turn off specific functions of the computer to save battery life, as well, its light, versatile, and for some reason, my wifi radio connects better than most people's.

6. mmurray

mmurray Mobile Deity

How is this going to compete with the iPhone ? I have a T|X currently and while I still like it the software looks really dated these days. Compared to the iPhone it looks really, really dated. With Apples track record for getting the GUI and industrial design right I wonder if Palm haven't stuffed around too long this time? Of course it will depend a bit on how much Apple locks down the iPhone OS to third party developers. The great thing about the Palm was always the shareware available although I appreciate Apple's concern about the potential damage shareware can do. Using the T|X brings back fond memories of Mac OS 9. Reboot, reboot, reboot .... at least Palm's are faster to start up than the old macs.

Michael

7. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Didn't Palm recently hire an Apple interface engineer? I have very high expectations for the Hawk. My T|X is great and serves me well, but quite frankly, I don't trust it for sophisticated work. I hope the Linux-based Hawk will boost my confidence level in Palm reliability.

8. hduty

hduty Mobile Deity

GPS you say? Not a chance.

I honestly don't think it'll have more radios than my hw6915 (except for 3G). When was the last time Palm got everything right from the start? It's mid 2007 and Palm *still* doesn't offer a Wifi equipped phone. There is no reason to believe that they'll go all the way this time and include GPS; one thing is what the Hawk *should* have, and it's another thing what it likely *will* have, given Palm's track record.

I really hope I'm wrong though....

9. newtonjack

newtonjack Mobile Enthusiast

How bout something like this but w/ a color screen:

http://www.polymervision.com/ProductsApplications/Readius/Index.html

Also remember some call the new device Folio, Palm has a Patent on that:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=IwYWAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=Canova+palm+compact

10. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.