Brighthand Staff's Predictions for the Palm Hawk

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rolo

rolo Mobile Enthusiast

I believe the real story will be the suite of applications and web services available at the launch of this secret product and not so much the device itself. I don't expect to see a really revolutionary device, just a well connected device (all the wireless connectivity, 802, cell, BT), with a nice size screen for web browsing and a keyboard.

I expect Palm to expand the online services to allow you to backup, store data (at least 1gb), purchase and install applications over a wireless connection, stream voice and data, and communicate with other like devices through a wireless connection easily. Could also see a partnership of sorts and compatibility with one of the companies offering a suite of online office productivity applications (Google or Zoho?). I wouldn't be surprised to see a device able to be controlled somewhat through voice commands as well. And of course push email.

I think the device will be pocketable, so I expect a 4-5 inch screen and I believe it will run the new OS, which I bet they have been working on longer than many of us think. So I expect more of a well thought out solution that offers a more complete user experience than any other wireless device, not so much a dramatically revolutionary device itself.

2. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Whatever it turns out to be I hope it can replace my laptop. I've been holding off getting a MacBook in the hope that Palm will release something instead!

3. juehoe

juehoe Newbie

Many good ideas for future Palm devices!

I would like to see 3 different form factors:

1) Improved Treo: thinner and lighter
    2) Mini-Treo: similar the Sony Ericsson M600 or P1
    3) Bigger "Slate" with full-VGA resolution, with many of the features mentioned above.
    4) Something new? What about a slate/UMPC with a small mobile phone like input/output device, which is coupled (Bluetooth) the main device. The phone is used for calling when the main device is your briefcase?

Important for me is that the new device has phone calling features.

4. Masterchief

Masterchief Superfluous Moderator Super Moderator

The current treos have these abilities (MyTreo, Palm Software, Bluetooth etc..). Palm Back-up Beta for backing up wirelessly to a Palm server over the internet is rather new, I will begin using it later on today.

I agree that this device will most likely have a larger display. Palm has had almost six months to pour over Steve Jobs' keynote address from January and learn a thing or two.. :)

5. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

You are joking about this being something serious, right ?
    I hope you still have an SD card backup solution in place :rolleyes:

6. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

I am really hoping that whatever it is, it will be somewhat similar to something like the HTC Advantage line with a touchscreen so that it will be like a mini tablet PC. Oh, I'm really dreaming. But then, I am really warming up to the HTC devices. Oh, well, just looking. [maceyr tries to assure her Treo 650 that it will still be her main device] ;)

7. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

I believe that these are all pilot tests for what will be built upon with the Hawk and future devices. Heck, MyPalm and the Palm Backup application are public betas!

Alan G

8. Scoobie10

Scoobie10 Cowboy in the Jungle

Excellent article everyone. I'm very impressed with your predictions and I look forward to seeing who had the closest vision. However, I can't believe that not a single one of you mentioned the built-in Personal Cloaking Device. Sheesh. ;)

9. Masterchief

Masterchief Superfluous Moderator Super Moderator

Until I hear otherwise, Yes.

Maybe we'll finally get a tri-corder device? One of the 1960's original star trek ones would be a nice...

10. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Honestly, after making the Nokia N800 tablet a companinion to my Treo 680 for the past week plus, I have a better idea of what we could see from Palm. I just don't know though if and how it could be pulled off. I willa dmit, the seemless wireless and snappy performance of the N800 are really nice. And if Palm could take that design, tweak it a bit, and have it at least a little bit towards teh stingy side of battery life, it could very well work.

The patent with the folded screen would be interesting to see, but I do wonder how people will feel about it. Its not like Palm has a Gameboy as a rep to go back on. That device could take some beating. The Vx and Treos are sensitive devices, and I am not sure that the product history of those lends well to a device with a fragile sounding nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.