Brighthand RSS Feeds

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by jigwashere, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I love the RSS reader on my TP2, the RSS Hub. I was able to quickly find and add a number of great RSS feeds, including Brighthand's newsfeed. I really love being able to check out headlines for Brighthand through RSS Hub not only because it's so convenient, but for some reason I often miss the headlines when I go through the new posts (or today's posts) search. I don't know why I happen to miss it, but at least I can catch it through the RSS feed and then link to the article if it's something that especially interests me.

I originally started this thread because I wondered why there weren't RSS feeds for the other threads. I'd love to be able to see new posts in the forums I am most interested in through my RSS reader. But just as I was about to pull the trigger and start this thread, I decided I'd better do a bit of research. Here's what I found: Where can I find the RSS feed?.

Excited that I found what I wanted, I created a feed for HTC Touch Pro, Fuze, & Touch Pro2. I added it to RSS Hub, then refreshed the content. Sadly, the most recent thread in there is from last week. :(

It would be great if these RSS feeds were up to date and showed me the latest posts on Brighthand. It would also be awesome if these RSS feeds were surfaced on the website somewhere so I could subscribe to them more easily.

Thanks!

2. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

I have just begun toying with RSS to feed my habit. I subscribed to the Main/News page, but I have yet to find a feed link to the Brighthand forums. Are they available via RSS?

3. jigwashere

I started a thread last month: Brighthand RSS Feeds. I get the Brighthand headlines in my reader, but come directly to the web page for the forums. The RSS feeds for the forums are not full feeds. There have been a few discussions and changes surrounding Brighthand RSS feeds in recent years, and the decision was made that full RSS feeds would not be provided in part because coming to the website and clicking links helps generate revenue.

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Thanks for the info jig. I suppose I'll keep using BH the old fashioned way. :)

5. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

You do know that Google has recently released a product which can turn any page into an RSS-able feed right. I mean, is there really a need for a specific Brighthand feed when you can use that tool to roll it yourself?

6. jigwashere

I didn't know that. I'll have to chech it out. Thanks for the tip! I've also read about using Greasemonky scripts to turn partial feeds into full feeds.

7. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Like yahoo pipes?

I always loved being able to RSSify google news results. It saved me a lot of time. I always wanted to try and use pipes to get a good movie RSS, something I could have autoload nightly over wifi and have offline access to when I'm out and about. Never actually got around to trying it out though.

8. Antoine Wright

No, this is an evolution of Pipes. Pipes uses existing XML, Google is able to take pages that don't have an XML feed and create it.

Here's the site where I first read about this:
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_reader_can_now_track_changes_on_any_web_pag.php

9. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Thanks, I was just trying to locate which product did this, and wasn't really having much luck because I figured it was a new product, rather than an extension of Reader. It sounds perfect for my purposes, actually, assuming they ping... at least every 18 hours. 12 would be better. I imagine they ping more often than that.

10. Antoine Wright

They ping quite a bit more often than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.