Brighthand or darkhand? Passion or Addiction? A personal confession

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by leifh, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zelnaphon

Zelnaphon Mobile Enthusiast

I can appreciate your experiences, both the good and the bad. I like to think that it is because of the obsessions and vision of a few early adopters that technology will become usefull to the masses. I admit that my Toshiba e800 is a time consuming asset that has very little pratical impact on my basic day to day decisions or activities. My obsession runs deep as I got my first handheld computer about 20 years ago. I feel like a pig in mud now with my handhelds, smartphone, 802.11g, and cable modem.

I am also rather experienced and obsessed with matters of the spirit. I would submit that once one learns how to objectify the material world and the desires that propel us about it we will enjoy greater access to our spirit. If those of us who are so compelled to tinker with the cutting edge of technology tinker properly we may lead the way for technology to rekindle the spirit.

Imagine a PDA and software that monitors information input in real time and administer intelligent strategic responses to such basic life challenges as bills, getting a promotion, driving, minimizing taxes, providing for family. Imagine this PDA's owner having more time and energy to appreciate and experience life and love. More time to contemplate matters of the spirit, meditate. Imagine this person having more and better information about the world and his/her place and impact. Imagine this person having the tools to act with greater awareness and sensitivity to the spiritual, social, and technological phenomenon that ultimately shapes the future of humankind and to which every individual whos ever lived or will live contributes.

Now imagine yourself or some over-clocked 'geek' writing the first version of this software which is sure to come (Think Google+Grokker+WEKA+TheSims) or beta testing it or teaching the less obsessed how to be more obsessed.

All in all IMHO technology may be one mankind's greatest assets in reaching the spirit.

2. leifh

leifh Mobile Consultant

As it came much later, I'm not sure I ever read you reply Zelnaphon. Thanks for the thoughts though.

One challenging book for me, since this thread, has been "Everything Bad Is Good for You: How Today's Popular Culture Is Actually Making Us Smarter" by Steven Johnson.

I'm still really confused about this topic...only time will tell if we are simply in a technological adolescence (or if we'll always be because of new rapidly developing tech) or if there is something in our nature and the nature of tech that will ultimately dehumanize us.

-Leif

3. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

Just a simple observation here......seems those that are concerned about linking more with the techno-devices and less with the human race certainly spend a lot of time sharing their concerns via techno-devices....final outcome = yes it's true. :D

4. leifh

leifh Mobile Consultant

Yes, that was the demise that Gandalf was concerned about: Using the power of the ring 'for good'
    IF, that (the ring) is what the net is comparable to, we're screwed.
    Hopefully its not and "Everything bad is good for you" (recent bestseller).
    -Leif

5. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

I was just reading this thread for the first time. What happened between the 71 post and the 72 post? There seems to be 2.5 years missing. Was it lost in the BrightHand/BargainPDA merger or did Gollum steal them?

6. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

I was wondering exactly the same thing when 2 weeks ago I saw this thread reappearing from the past ... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.