Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Antoine Wright, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Interesting to see the suite of views given here. I want to emphasize though that my leaving of the Palm Treo is more of a mobile-life thing than anything else. I am one of few USAmericans that I know that live almost totally from a mobile device. For me, its a cost, energy, and time savings in so many areas. To have a mobile that can work with my life is key, and while the Palm OS Treo series is close, it does miss on some parts that are becoming more useful in my day to day living.

That being said, I am on a "normal" computer a bit more often till my IT and BT keyboard comes in. Getting a look at computing from this end is a revelation in a few ways - and I can *totally* understand why the iPhone works. Seriously, UI and UX are much forgotten and the dissatisfaction that I have in things like no threaded SMS and harder-than-it-needsto-be dialing come thru.

All in all, I'm adjusting, and considering the age of the N75, I am sure thigns will change for later devices, and faster than we think :)

2. pixelator

pixelator Glow in the Dark Version

As even the most diehard PalmOS users abandon ship, you have to wonder what is going on in the upper echelon decision making minds of Palm.

Big talk and fanfare about the... Oh, wait, we shelved it.

A couple of WM5 Treos, already out of date..

Several rather incremental and lateral Treo revisions with... Garnet.

Garnet. Same OS with basically the same design for the past HOW many years? With stability befitting an old, old, old system that's either had modern functionality waved in its general direction or slapped on crudely.

Price? Eh, I guess the latest cheapo model is inexpensive, but compared to a Blackjack II, I don't think it passes muster. Not that touchless WM6 is a panacea, of course, but still offers more bang for the buck.

So when I broke my second Blackjack the other day, I grabbed a damnable iPhone. It has a grotesquely long list of limitations with no MMS, no multi-target SMS, no video capture, strictly limited OS requiring an hour or so of work to 'jailbreak' and no GPS. Even so, it's a truly elegant and streamlined user experience that makes strides in user-oriented multifunction 'all in one' devices at the CONCEPT/IMPLEMENTATION levels.

Meanwhile, whatever 'Zen of Palm' used to mean, PalmOS no longer has it, and hasn't for some time.

3. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I think Palm OS still has its "Zen". I am positive that most basic tasks can be executed on a Palm device much faster than any comparable device. The interface DOES work. Sure, I is pretty bland and can't multitask well, but it does do the job.

4. pixelator

pixelator Glow in the Dark Version

*cough* No System Wars, please. Suffice it to say I've owned Garnet and WM5 phone devices and found no significant advantage for PalmOS in speed of execution or doing basic tasks.

And after dealing with PalmOS since 1999, I stand by my feeling that the 'Zen' is gone. File formats & management, networking, UI, stability... That's not to say it couldn't be regained - I'd like nothing better than to see an EVOlutionary (if not REVOlutionary) new device bearing the Palm logo - but I have serious doubts it's going to happen. I'd like to be proven wrong.

5. Neero

Neero Mobile Evangelist

Hello,
    I just registered here in Brighthand. I am also a long time PalmOS user started with III -> Vx -> E and since 2006 TX. When my notebook computer broke, I found myself browsing with the TX a lot ( at home in bed or in a cafe) but due to its limitation, I find it the experience limiting. I read the Nokia N810 review here and was convinced that his will suit my needs but was quite expensive (compared to US$260 i paid for the TX). Then it was just at the right time that CompUSA stores were liquidating and I saw the N810 there and could not resist the 30% off on phones (N810 was in the phones section I know it's not a phone) US$336.xx for the tablet.

I am quite happy with my switch but miss the PalmOS PIMs. My TX have been having problems lately like digitizer drift etc. . . and will probably retire soon. I am also thinking about gettin a SymbianOS phone ( like the Nokia 6120 Classic) as my main PIM for now since the N810 is lacking in this department. (I was even thinking about getting a zire22)

I think I will stay with nokia for a while (been using their phones since mid-90s) with the N810 tablet for my multimedia and browsing needs and a future S60 Symbian smartphone for my PIM, organizing needs. I currently only have an S40 nokia (6230) and these two communicate nicely. It is a nice paring. :)

6. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

Welcome to Brighthand Neero:)

Congratulations on such a great price on your N810, that's amazing.

Please report back if you do go with a Symbian smartphone and let us know how the pairing goes your tablet.

cassi

7. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Mobile Evangelist

Hi...

Back after a long time...so Hi All! And also a Happy New Year to all!

Anyways...I thought I'd try to answer the question...though as someone said in an earlier post, this is pretty much dependent on each individuals needs, habits and quirks. Here is a sketchy account of my situation:

My devices: I have a TX and lately, I have acquired a Nokia E61i.

What do I do? When I got my TX, I was doing a doctorate and teaching. So, my TX was loaded with primary written work, lists of students, I used the WIFI to check up on my mail (the campus had a wifi network). I also used it for some elementary expense accounting...that was it. For my mobile phone needs, I had a mobile phone...it was a Samsung something or the other.

After my studies, I joined a company in a position that warrants my traveling extensively to Europe and Asia (I am currently based in India). Company does not have an arrangement with BB, nor does it use any kind of push email. The company however pays for my phone bills! (which is always nice)

So, I got the Nokia. BTW, I am in the process of publishing my thesis and developing a theme for another book.

So, how have my needs changed?

For starters, I use the mobile phone extensively. Compared to the soft keyboard on the TX, I find the E61i's QWERTY keyboard much easier and faster to use. Additionally, I use the micro SD card to save my thesis which I edit regularly and some other reference docs.

I am on email a lot...personally and professionally...The E61i helps me connect. I have an unlimited dataplan which is also paid for by the company. So that helps. I use a freeware called Morange (www.monet.morange.com) which does the push email thing for me...suits my purpose. I use the wlan function of the E61i at airports and other free wlan-enabled spots, but I am not dependent on such facilities.

The 'Office' function in the E61i allows me to fiddle around with work-related excel sheets and to view PDF and PPT docs.

While I am not a big fan of the E61i pre-installed browser (I am seriously considering installing Opera Mobile), I do surf the net on the E61i and bookmark sites of interest, which I also email to myself for future reference and for more detailed views when I am at my machine.

Often when I am in India, I am traveling by car between cities and under these circumstances, I am not only in voice contact with office and family, I am also in email contact and through Morange, I also can chat with family, the ofice and friends!

When I am traveling outside India, I use the clock function extensively...keeping track of different timezones...and the alarm clock to wake up in the morning. I also use the alarm to mark notes and my appointments and to-do lists.

I use the notes and voice recorder extensively (for my work) on the E61i. I dont have a dedicated expense account program loaded on the E61i, but that is because I am still looking for a freeware version though I know some very good paid programs are available.

So, in summary then, if the GTD principles emphasize on connectivity, defining actionable things to do and outcomes, organizing time efficiently, and keeping current and 'on my game', I'd say the E61i helps me do so.

But...I should mention that the TX also accompanies me everywhere...though today I use it primarily as a reference tool. I have loaded it up with a heapload of frequently used docs (though only those that pertain to my personal writing).

Before I close this post, I should apologize for its length!

Thanks and regards

p.s.: I also do the synching of outlook and the calender...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.