Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Antoine Wright, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eek

eek Mobile Enthusiast

I'm still trying to hang on to my Palm TX... if I found something that did all my palm did plus some slick hardware and a snappy new OS I'd switch in a minute.

Anyway, I find that I'm surfing the net more and more often but Palms browser seems to be crashing more and more often too.

Has anyone made a new, stable, quick web browser for Palm? something like Firefox??

Thanks,
    Eric

2. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

I have Palm TX and I am facing the same problem. The TX is simple not a reliable device. In my work, we installed Nokia Intellisync Enterprise Version, and tried its client on my Plam, and it became much worse than before. It used to crash 5-7 times every 2 days if I enable "Push Email" feature. With "Sync Option", it will crash 4 times per week. In normal situations, it must crash once every 2 days.

I read somewhere in TX Forums that a VersaMail update (not free) will make the TX a bit more stable.

I have made up my mind. I am switching as soon as budget is available, I am choosing between Nokia N810 or HTC Tilt.

I purchased Eee PC one month ago, and used it in my trip to Malaysia/Kuala Lumpur in the past 8 days, along with Palm TX and Nokia 6280. The Eee PC was GREAT in all aspects (Web and Skype+video), and the Nokia 6280 did a wonderful job for reminders ...etc. But the TX, every time I wanted to use it and in critical situations, I find it dead or crashed and I have to wait at least 1 minute to get it started again.

Tarek.

3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Stabilty was one reason for switching on my end. I just needed something that would stay stable - though I did identify a loose SIM card slot as a possible reason in the Treo.

So far so good though. I'm spending more time on "normal" computers because of the N75 though. Its just not a smartphone in the sense that it will replace my laptop/desktop. It has that ability, but is much more cumbersome in doing so.

4. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Funny you mention that. I seem to have a super-stable 680.
    Then again I am pretty careful what I install.

5. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

My issues on stability are not related to 3rd party programs. I am a heavy user of BT and my 680 has never been a fan of DUN for long periods. Especially when a phone call comes thru.

I am assuming that the upcoming update might address some of those issues. Hence I am still waiting for that. But until then, its nice to be doing DUN and taking a phone call at the same time and not missing a beat on either end ;)

6. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I use Opera Mini 4 on my Treo 680. It's much better than Blazer and has some very advanced features. You need to install the Java VM first.

http://www.operamini.com/

7. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Funny you mention that, I have a super-stable Treo 680 and I'm not that terribly careful with what i install (only moderately). When I moved from the T|X to the 680, I found a significant improvement in stability.

My issue with the Treo 680 has nothing to do with stability or the OS per se. I think both are fine. The execution of the Treo is such that you really don't miss full multitasking. It still has limited multitasking in that I can send an MMS in the background, use Mundu in the background, check e-mail in the background, while checking my appointments... So, it's not that terribly incapable. I can still listen to music while doing anything else.

It's the "upgrade path". My Palm Treo (and its predecessors) have kept a continuous journal of my life since around 1999. Every time I upgraded my hardware, all my "stuff" more or less seamlessly migrated over. I just want to be able to migrate my existing data and applications to newer hardware.

8. kokketiel

kokketiel Mobile Evangelist

Good luck with your choice! I went through exactly the same thing in the second quarter of this year, and I must say, I have not looked back.

I was a long time Palm user, with my first one being a Palm III with the TRG Pro 8M upgrade, then a IIIc for colour, and then the Tungsten T for Bluetooth. I switched to a smartphone from my other favourite brand, Nokia. I've been pairing Nokia and Palm for more than 10 years, so it really did feel like breaking up a marriage :). (Nokia 6110 / 7110 to Palm III and Palm IIIc, and the Nokia 6310i to the Tungsten T).

I settled on a Nokia E61 and I must say, the total integration between phone and PDA, as well as the WiFi capabilities blew me away. There are 3 applications that I miss on the E61, and of those, I can probably buy two of them. Those are DateMate, a shareware password encrypter and PalmDigitalMedia's eReader, which is the one that I miss the most, having well over 100 eBooks that we bought from them over the years.

I've been waiting for Palm to bring out my next device, but it really seemed like they missed the boat. My theory on this is that as an American company, they kowtowed too much to the operators, whereas Nokia has a large market in Europe, where they are less constrained by operators demanding them to cripple their devices.

All in all, I am extremely happy with my Nokia E61 and pleasantly surprised by the availability and quality of software for the Symbian platform. Nokia is also a progressive company bringing out innovative software and hardware at a great pace.

9. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

10. Summit

Summit Saved by Grace

Hi Antoine,

Good to see you've made the leap. I did so a few weeks ago myself. You may remember me at 1src (wellsjs)? I went with the WM6 HTC 6800 and am very happy with it. I left Palm for the same reasons you mentioned, lack of a future, lack of stability, etc.

I feel like my new WM6 OS and HTC device is a phone first, and a PDA second. The opposite was true with my Treo 700p. The phone-to-PDA apps interface is so much better with WM6. Anyway, nice to say hi to you again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.