Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Antoine Wright, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

Debul,

Google Calendar + goosync stole me away from Palm desktop.

Long attached at the hip to the Palm OS and my TX, I have looked at other models and their sexy features, but I continue to find the comfort in the solid, dependable abilities of the OS. I find my S-E z520a fine for SMS, or I can send a long message or email from my Palm.

As often as I think I want a hip new feature, I find that my Palm actually hits my needs exceptionally well. If I tried a new phone, I'm sure that at first it would feel amazing, eveything would be fresh and exciting as I explored the new capabilities, but then I would find that my day-to-day life really hadn't changed, that my needs were not so different now than they were when I first met Palm - and it wasn't that Palm didn't try new things, it seemed like Palm was constantly at a new shop, trying some new program to do something a little more efficiently.

Oh, sure, Palm wasn't a multi-tasker, but it really could switch from one task to another very quickly, playing music while it went. It wasn't multi-touch, but I know the buttons to press, and it wasn't averse to using an extra tool (like a keyboard) when it was needed.

I'm not saying there isn't another out there that could steal my heart - become the the Apple of my eye - but meeting someone new takes money, and no PDA is going to be perfect.

If an accident were to happen, I think I might look for a change, but right now I'm happy, I really am

2. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

Spare head......?:confused:

3. T. Lewis

T. Lewis XrayI

I made a similar switch a while back first with a Nokia 6620 then with an E65. With WiFi in the "E" I don't feel like I am missing too much. I never had a Treo I always thought they were a bit large for just throwing in your shorts pocket when you're going to your kids soccer game. Maybe I don't know what I am missing.

Keep your TX handy my E65 and TX connect easily with Bluetooth. When the TX dies I'll probably get an N8xx. Good luck, I think you'll like having such a pocketable device.

4. jbrown50

jbrown50 Mobile Enthusiast

This sort of summarizes my latest 'upgrade' from my old Palm OS Treo 680 to a WM OS AT&T Tilt.

A recent job related trip brought me to the realization of how cumbersome and impractical my laptop has become for traveling. Protecting it from theft, getting it through airport scanners and searching for hit and miss WiFi are just a few of the problems. Sure I could connect it to my phone or get an aircard but that's an unecessary step and/or cost.

I locked the laptop into my suitcase and relied on my Treo 680 for internet and email. The screen was smaller and the media experience wasn't as robust but the laptop with it's bigger screen and faster internet speed was mostly unuseable anyway.

Upon returning home I purchased an Apple iPhone with the intent of giving it to my Wife as a Christmas present. One old problem again raised it's ugly head though as i'd forgotten how much my Wife hated using iTunes in the past. She'd given her ipod away to her sister because of it. I decided to return the iPhone for a Sony Ericsson W580i of which she likes very much.

Before returning the iPhone I decided to try it out myself.

I could have lived with iTunes but I don't like Quicktime. I also couldn't live without a replaceable battery, a memory card slot, a true keyboard or the ability to replace the sim card. There are also applications that I want and need that can't be gotten for the iPhone. The iPhone's a really neat device but I had to return it for those reasons.

My experience with the iPhone's advanced multimedia features, carrier speed, WiFi, etc. helped me to realize that I wanted something more than my Treo 680.

Enter, the AT&T 8925 Tilt..... A fine device that i'm very happy with.

5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Andy, did you just make Joe an offer... :eek: ;)

6. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

I feel safe in saying DT when was likening Smartphones to cars it had nothing to do with their size or how often they are used. :D (But I'm sure she will correct me, if I'm wrong.) I tend to think she may be right, too. IE, I remember hearing MANY, MANY years ago that (in the future) when babies are born, much like their social security number, they will be issued a phone number that is strictly theirs & theirs for life. At the time, I thought this seemed absurd, but we do seem to be moving in that direction. So I suspect there would be a market in the future for those who simply wanted basic smartphone functions (budget models of cars - this may even be the option for small children so they have the ability to call Mom & Dad or 911 in the event of an emergency but do not need the functionality of a PDA yet. But as they get older will add that as an option.) vs those who want the smartphone equivalent of leather seats & Bose surround sound (luxury models.)

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

You are correct SR.

8. DJ Rome

DJ Rome Tinkerer & Dealer

I sees. Seamless lineage between smart and dumbphones perhaps? As such, dumbphones are getting more functions and smartphones in lower sector getting less (or at least relatively to development) that seems possible.

Unfortunately, our "Model T's" aren't exactly hot items that will multiply in value. :(

9. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Actually, I think a well kept up Model T would go for quite a pretty penny, these days... :newpalm:

(SR REALLY, REALLY, REALLY regrets not whipping out her Flip pocket Camcorder on Christmas day when she saw a circa 1940's auto in cherry condition motoring alongside her vehicle...)

10. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

[OT]
    I was being such a good boy (for once today) and not going there. Well, at least not in this thread. But now that you mention it... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'll head over to OT now where I can continue with my bad self... :p
    [/OT]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.