Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Antoine Wright, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

<Joe-Boy just shakes his head, looks lovingly at his T3 sitting upright in its cradle, and is oh-so-glad he has a spare on the shelf...>

2. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

AWright,

It's funny how the US is behind when it comes to phone models yet so far ahead in terms of PDA's. Practically anywhere in asia you have a huge selection of phones but only a handful of pda's. Being asian myself, I've lived on symbian my whole life from Nokia to sony and a couple of non-symbian (I think) by samsung. Great phones but poor pda functionality - that's what made me get a t3, then a t5.

I was basically never into convergence because I thought it would be a world of compromises until I came across the 680. Man, what a revelation. Thing with palm is it's very straightforward, you can move from program to program and not even think about losing data. And there's always some program out there that can make your handheld feel new and fresh (relatively speaking). Speaking of interface, palm's stock one, although snappy, looks old and dated - but when you put on a launcher it changes things. I did one better and put two: Initiate for the "power user" mode and ultimate phone - for it's nice and pretty interface. I haven't even begun to fully utilize all the functions of the launcher yet. This is something I couldn't do with my other phones, for sure. The philosophy of "planned obsolescence" for nokia, samsung, sony etc...just doesn't apply to palm.

But the grass is indeed greener on the other side. I guess that's just how it is. I've been using symbian most of my life and I grew tired of it. Others have been using palm and it's the same thing. When we switch, it's exciting for both. That's why I think Palm has a lot of potential still in markets like ours - because not only is it new, it's actually great at what it does.

Either way, best of luck to you. Nokia has a lot to offer since they have such a great product mix. Take a look at www.gsmarena.com for all the new and upcoming models.

regards,

lorsban

3. DJ Rome

DJ Rome Tinkerer & Dealer

And to think I'm upgrading my phone from k800i to a 680. :p

Palm's touchscreen is just too fast for me not to like. Out of the 30 or phones that I've tried, none respond faster so. . . well, it's not blazing, but at least it responds when I tell it to do something. And 3G? I'm way too cheap to buy data, which is probably why a 680 is like a T3 and 650 in one. Score one for Appshelf, btw. :)

4. Phenomenon101

Phenomenon101 Mobile Evangelist

Another fact that should be pointed out is that not every OS or device is going to meet your needs. I think you really should take the opportunity to try different smartphones and see what OS best fits your needs. Not just in the OS either, but in battery life, interface and design. Like I said before I had a TX and moved to X51v. While the X51v is nice it still has flaws that the TX succeeds in and therefor I am still left with problems no matter what (and I DO NOT intend on carrying both devices around). Remember there is also a Linux OS in development also that, while not popular, it still contains a pretty well organized group behind it. I know you would know this, but this is for anyone else who happens to pass by this thread too.

5. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

My feeling is that the smartphone market will eventually end up like the automobile market: budget models, sportscars, family sedans, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc. with different manufacturers and styling. It will be a while before we see this as we have only recently passed the Model T years.

6. deserttaxguy

deserttaxguy Mobile maniac

Just a reminder to the everybody swooning about how great or sucky something is-- if it doesn't work with the most recent (I didn't say latest), standard interface systems, or exhibit any signs of trying to adapt to more current file types and (like flash video and other streams), its pretty much out dated as of today. Smartphone, PDA; its all functional if if they are at least sort of up to date with the file/stream types you will encounter in the wild world of the internet. If your device is seizing and soft resetting and can't do a simple Brietbart News video, I guess its time to change, don't you?

7. DJ Rome

DJ Rome Tinkerer & Dealer

DT, unlike cars, being large for phones isn't a desired option. People want functional and convenient with style. Cars have way too many options to be compared with phones. Also, people carry their phones everywhere whereas cars are part time operation units.

8. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Depends how you look at it.
    I know cars having less options then a 'normal' smartphone (Dacia Logan comes to mind).
    I also know people practically living in their car or truck, so I don't know about that part time aspect either.

9. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

If that analogy is made, and its an accurate one, then it would be mobile phone market to car market is like the smartphone market to sports cars. Smartphones are a very small niche of mobile phone sales, however the tech in them does trickle down the line (just like sports cars).

For every person that has a Ferrari this year that is great, its only a matter of time before Lambo, Mercedes, or Porsche creates something better. And if you stick with a certain engine and style too long without the right tuning, then you end up with a current classic rather than something competitive for the marketplace.

Sticking with that analogy still, Palm could have been like Porsche and really took the 600 design and rang rings around folks, but that hasn't happened. We've got a company that's been more or less like a C5 Vette. Sure it was good for its time, but good looks only go so far. Eventually, you need to do more than just a surface tweak.

For me, my abilities in those things mobile are growing. I like my Porsche, and its still in the garage, but for day to day driving, I need something more like a BMW 1-series (short, fast, and current to te point of being effective for my needs).

~ can you just tell I like cars too :newpalm:

10. Debul

Debul Mobile Enthusiast

WM6 std + AgendaOne works for me :) But i miss palm desktop though! Is there a replacement for friggin' outlook?

(speaking of GTD)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.