Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Antoine Wright, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

After many months with a smartphone,I'm getting a new one. For one reason or another, this move feels a lot like leaving an old marriage. I was at a place where I was comfortable. We knew what to expect from one another, and even worked around our differences to a point where we appreciated what wasn't there. But we both knew that a time to move on was coming.

Since getting my hands into the Symbian/S60 platform earlier this year with the Nokia N95, I have been dabbling with the idea of moving from a Palm OS device to a Symbian S60 or UIQ one.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is almost nothing wrong with my Treo 680. I like it a lot actually. I'm even looking forward to the firmware update to see what it will address, and if it can make a solid device even better.But at the same time, its like a marriage where nothing new has happened for so long that I am tired. Tired of compromises, tired of looking at the faster, slicker grass on the other side of the fence, and at least hoping for something that could make my grass seem a bit better.

[​IMG]
    (view large image)
    But with the Palm OS, there is no Miracle-Gro coming. It is what it is (and if you aren't convinced, the Centro really isn't that much different than the Treo 650, though many years separate them). I've wanted 3G, I wanted a touchscreen in a smaller, thinner design, and I've wanted a user interface that didn't make me want to throwmy smartphoneagainst the wall every few seconds.

OK, so Symbian misses on the last point a bit, but for the rest, it's a very solid place to start. So I have. I now have a Nokia N75. It is a mid-range, 3G handset, and for a while was sold by AT&T here in the U.S. What it offers is the ability to try something new; for example it's not a QWERTY device. But there are holes, and much of which I will have to look atthird party solutions to fill.

That being said, my Treo 680 is still in my pocket, albeit without a SIM card in it. There's a bit of information in text messages that I need still, and the N75 doesn't have all of the programs on it that I need to get rolling along.

It's weird. I've seen myself moving on, but until now, it just hasn't happened. And now that it has, I guess that I need to get comfortable in a new bed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

I wish you luck AWright.
    It was a difficult choice for me, being in Europe, and being a long time Palm, user and unable to get the device I wanted easily. I could have chosen Symbian as my next device in a heartbeat, but in the end I stuck with Palm because it suited my needs better.

It will be interesting seeing how your new Nokia fits your lifestyle over the next few weeks.
    Please keep us updated.

3. Antoine Wright

Yea, the whole being in the US aspect makes this move a lot harder because there just are not as many devices to choose from. Over the coming weeks there'll be a a few pieces talking about my travels, as well as some software that I'll probably find indespensible.

Who knows, maybe all this chatting up of moving to Symbian might merit a few rumors towards a device or two that will be a solid upgrade from the Palm side for several users :)

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Great article!
    I was looking at this phone when I am eligible for a subsidized backup. There are times when I don't want to bring my iPhone along. Are you adjusting quickly to the lack of qwerty and touchscreen?

5. Antoine Wright

I miss the touchscreen a lot. T9 is sufficient for most things, but not emailing. That aspect of things is just not a focus of the N75 and it shows in the UI. Whereas the Treo is a communicator then a phone, the N75 is a phone, then everything else. That part is very hard to adjust to, and a change of thinking all the same.

6. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

I find leaving homes, cars and even my next to last cell phone kind of a bittersweet experience. Turning over one chapter in your life for another. But then after the first hour or two, I realize it's kind of like moving from Paul Newman to Raul Julia (if he wasn't dead.) IOW, neither one is a bad option. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  7. Phenomenon101

Phenomenon101 Mobile Evangelist

I don't think anyone can blame you for your decision. I moved from a Palm TX to a Axim X51v myself. I can completely relate to your feelings about your smartphone. It isn't that the device doesn't do what it can do, but there is no new updates, features, design (Centro barely counts as a new design really). It just got dumb and boring after seeing that the company itself doesn't stand firmly behind its product. What can you do though?

8. timepilot84

timepilot84 Handheld Junkie

Now that you have a 3G Phone, get yourself a Nokia N800 or N810. You won't miss Palm OS for long, and even if you do, you can download the Garnet Emulator for Internet Tablets from ACCESS and use most of your favorite apps.

9. Tech

Tech Mobile Evangelist

As Palm appear to be loosing grip and desperately trying to reinvent the brand, I have also considered migration scenarios. Even though my Palm is rock solid and a very trustworthy partner, providing me with far superior PDA functionality compared to my Sony Ericsson phone (and it IS a phone with add-ons), I need to consider how to move on.

But I am very reluctant. Most phones, no matter how "smart" they are, often can not handle PDA information correctly. Often you loose categories, repeating tasks, reminders, contact information, notes, etc. I have big problems imagining myself moving on to a "smart" phone - I would simply loose to much PDA functionality. I guess, I will eventually end up in a Windows Mobile scenario - likely not to be Treo based.

Can any of you guys out there come up with a convincing story on how to move on and utilizing a "smart" phone as a PDA e.g. in line with GTD principles, and not just for syncing Outlook contacts and calendar?

I agree "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do"... :(

10. Antoine Wright

Over the past year, I've played a few times with the N800 (once for a full 4 month stint). And while I liked it, I had the hardest of times fitting it into my computing life. Part of that was me, the other part of that was the Palm OS.

For the most part, programs on the Palm OS were not the reson I stayed, it was the user interface and user experience that got me. I find that the attention to detail in such things like how many taps to do an action pretty much unmatched on other platforms (until some level of 3rd party apps is involved). Add to that the touchscreen and well done 5way means of moving around, it is a very nice and easy to get hooked on platform despite the lack of other features.

Right now, I am debating which tablet, or to just go for an N95-3 and really bug out. The ITs are great devices, but I've made a concession that I want to play with tweaking as little as possible. For me to get a new device means that it has to just work more than anything. That's why I started with the N75, it has enough features to get me to just working, and after that, I'll play. But oh are those tablets tempting. And leaks of other N-series devices doesn't help one bit.

I am not sure that a story can really be said that would satisfy you. Every user is vastly different and that's what makes these mobile devices more personal than ever. The best that I can suggest is to read experiences and ask questions. And then play with what you can. From there, you will find what you want to move to, if you want to even move at all after finding all of that out. Because of my needs, I've had to move, and its an up and down thing. I cannot do PIM nearly as well as I did with the Treo and that is totall killing me.

Palm's methodolgy there is a tough one to beat. But like I've said other places, Symbian is phone first than PDA. It does things differently and so will I. As far as I can tell, only the Palm OS is PDA first, everything else second. That's a tough thing to retrain youself towrads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.