Bluetooth & feature phone hookup problems

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by LandSurveyor, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Since if went off smartphones, issues seem to crop up and this is one of them. I want to be able to transfer files between my Axim X51V and my new feature phone, a Motozine ZN5. This is not a headphone-only Bluetooth thing. The Motorola lets you choose what sort of device you want to handshake with and had a PDA option, or you can choose All (types of devices). Before it was over with, I had done both.

I mainly want to be able to swap photos between the two devices since the Moto is a well above-average camera phone but the Dell can find the Moto but not visa-versa.

Years ago, I tried the same thing with a Siemens phone I had with AT&T but it didn't work either. My brother's answer then was that phones are dumber that PDA's. I guess it still holds true.

Anybody got any ideas? I've plowed through the Moto's ENDLESS menus but found no joy.

2. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I've got a few ideas which don't involve BlueTooth;

- connect the devices through WiFi (both support WLAN802.11b/g), either peer-to-peer or along a WAP (such as your home PC or even a free WiFi hotspot)

- transfer your pics and files across the internet, uploading from the Motorola (email attachments or whatever) and downloading on the Axim

- purchase a removable flash storage card (up to 4GB) and use it to store your photos as you swap devices

- establish a Sync partnership with each device (WinXP = ActiveSync; Vista = Sync Center), then use your PC as the medium for data transfer

- send your "on screen" image data from the Motorola to your PC through the VGA-out; then "capture" it and send it to your Axim

... I can't really say why BT doesn't work, except that BT isn't quite a perfectly universally technology, it doesn't always work as instantly, conveniently, and properly the way a more mature technology like USB generally does. Even if BT is somehow useless, there's no real reason at all why a WLAN connection won't work. Assuming all your hardware works, of course.

I imagine that your phone runs a "dumb" OS which doesn't present the user with a lot of useful power, especially when attempting to do something that the manufacturer didn't put a lot of effort into supporting. The stuff I read about this phone put a lot of emphasis on the Kodak Imaging and Media Player 11, so perhaps the only stuff they really provided is an easy way to link into your Windows PC's Kodak and WMP software.

Because your Axim runs WM5 (or later) it has much more powerful software; you can run the File Manager (or download a better one, like Resco Explorer) and use it to find/move/copy/etc all your files on your "network". It's likely that your Motorola will allow (authorized/partnered) remote devices (like your Axim) to "see" any datafiles stored on it, thus allowing you to "pull" the files from your Axim instead of "pushing" them from the ZN5. Depending on what software Motorola has built into the device, along with whatever options they've provided (or that might be available for download) this might be impossible, ie: your phone might be permanently configured to operate the way they chose and what you're attempting just won't ever work.

Good luck.

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Have a feeling the sync-through-PC may be the most workable option.